Chapter 3: time to confess

Its is now a week since my first day of training so its my birthday today. I'm finally 15. joy. One year till i will have to kill Cato in the arena. I cant kill him. Can i?

My mother, Ronnie and Kalen come in. They give me a new training outfit which consists of a black string top, a black jacket, a black stretchy pants and black combat mountain boots. Awesome. My mother gives me a knife which is long and jagged with 'Clove' engraved on it. I smile.

They wish me happy birthday then i get into my new clothes, attach my 'Clove' knife to my belt and put a bag for game in it. I rush out the door and run to the forest. Before I go in, I climb up the tree Maysilee and I used to sit in. I swear on my fathers grave i can feel her presence next to me.

I look down after hearing a rustle in the bush. I fling my knife down. Im pretty sure its a deer. Good i wont go to bed hungry on my birthday.

'Aagh' is all i hear before im on the ground. OH MY GOD, ITS NOT A DEER ITS...'CATO, OH NO IM SO SO SORRY I-I DIDNT MEAN TO IM SO SORRY I THOUGHT IT WAS A DEER I WAS UP A TREE I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS YOU OH IM SO SORRY'

'Clove calm down its ok' he says gripping his foot. 'wait why were you trying to kill a deer and why were you up a tree?''

'Um i got some confessing to do i guess' i say as i slump down the back of the tree. 'Ok first i was up a tree b-because that is where i used to sit with Maysilee my best friend she died in the 70th games the year after Annie Cresta she made it to the final two but Brutus killed her, luckily he will be your mentor for the games otherwise if he was mine he would be dead' I take a breath as i can feel tears coming behind my eyes.

'Clove, when we go into the games, i wont kill you, I promise, or let anything happen to you, ok? We will have to come up with a plan to get us both out.'

'What Cato never ever has two victors won, this year wont change, we will make it to the final two then i will let you kill me. Simple as.'

'Clove no I wont kill you' he says as he moves closer to me, it looks like he doesnt want me to notice it but i do. 'Then i will kill myself' i say. 'No you wont i will throw all the weapons away or something like that, but you have a family too, they love you,'

'Yes maybe but it hasnt been the same since my father died when i was nine in that quarry accident, our family has no income so I hunt to get food, so thats why i wanted to kill a deer so i wont starve on my birthday.'

'Oh clove im so sorry I never knew.' he says rather quickly. 'Its ok' i say now im crying and he hugs me this feels so good to have his strong arms around me. Oh how i wish he felt the way about me as I do for him. I wish, yup thats my birthday wish.

'cmon Clove i will help you hunt' he says 'Why are you helping me?"

"because i-i.............

a/n: left you on a cliffhanger, a clato moment will load on saturday swear look up 'prove you wrong by he is we' this goes with cloves birthday wish (;