Chapter 4- It Hurts

''Is the OT ready?" Manik asked Nandini, "yes sir" she said walking along with him into the operation theater. "Oh I never knew that you are so talented!" Nandini couldn't digest his sugar coated words. "Sir!" she uttered cluelessly.

"I didn't know that you would operate without surgical instruments at all" Manik said sarcastically. "I asked the ward boy to get everything sir, he must be here any minute" she looked out for the ward boy. "Shut up" Manik roared at her.

"How could you be so careless?" he thought there was no use talking to her. "Stella" he called someone and she came. "This is Stella, the senior head nurse. Stella, this is the new intern Dr. Nandini, she will be assisting you, help her in arranging OT", Manik left after instructing Stella to make Nandini understand everything.

"Dr. Nandini, don't worry Dr. Malhotra bahut hi acha trainer hai you will learn everything slowly" Stella eased her tension. Nandini whispers to herself, "So ye monster avatar is exclusive only for me!" she sighed and arranged everything as said by Stella. "I will go and see Shanaya" she informed Stella before leaving "Dr. Nandini did you have that injection I have you?" Nandini checked and gave thumbs up to her. Stella informed Manik and he came to operation theater.

Shanaya is brought to the OT. Nandini cleaned her hands and took the gloves. "Anaesthesia" Manik looked at her "done sir", "atropine" Nandini gave it to him.

"What! Why are you giving this to me now? Don't you know that you should give it to the patient before an hour!" Nandini stood there motionless. "Wo sir" "just get out from here" Nandini came out and he followed her.

"How dumb are you? Use your brain" he shouted without giving any time to give explaination. "Dr. Malhotra what's the problem?" Mukti happened to see Manik and Nandini.

"She forgot to give atropine before surgery" Manik broke the ice. "Ma'am wo" Nandini tried to speak but felt a lump in her throat. "Oh God! Ab phirse surgery postpone karna padega it's already 7:30 pm, its not possible today, we'll figure out something tomorrow I need to go now" Mukti said remembering going out with Dr. Shrivastav. She leaves from there asking Manik to take care.

"Tomorrow morning at sharp 6 am arrange the OT" he ordered Nandini. Her eyes widened. "Ha don't forget to give injection to the patient and hour before surgery".

"But sir, uske liye mujhe 5 o clock aana padega" she said helplessly. "So that I should get up even before 5" she thought to herself.

"So? I don't care if you wake up early or not, you should be here by 5" he left from there without giving her a chance to speak. Nandini sighed. Mukti changed into her clothes and took her bag and came out.

She saw Dr. Shrivastava waiting for her in front of the hospital. She knocked on the car 's window. "I asked you not to wait for me but" Mukti talked rudely to him "Mukti just get in, please" she silently sat in the passenger seat conscious enough to not make an issue about it at the hospital. He silently drove her to the restaurant. Neither of them talked to each other but he played her favorite songs on their way.

Manik's mom called him, "Manik, you can't lie to me like this", he is tired of explaining her. "Mom, why would I lie to you anyway. That girl, she called me mumma's boy, she said that I don't have anything important than coming to see her and leave it, its all just because of you, I should be the one shouting on you but instead you are accusing me of lying to you, this isn't fair mom" Manik said in one go.

"Aww usne tumhe mumma's boy kaha! Tum ho na isliye kaha hogi, you are completely my boy Manik. I love you" she managed to put up a smile on his lips. Only she can make him forget his stressful day at work. "Thank you maa, I love you too", he walked towards the exit as he talked on the phone. "You just have dinner and I will come by 12" he bumped into someone and apologized "Oh sorry", Nandini looked at him when he uttered sorry.