Chapter 57- Bad Luck

"I didn't know that you have called me to ask about Nandini, and I have offered to drop Alya home, that's it" Manik said to Mr. Murthy. "If you would have know it before, would you not bring Alya here?" he asked Manik in return. "I would have got her here" Manik's answer startled Mr. Murthy. "Dekho Shannoo ji kaisa ye ladka baat kar raha hai, he would have got her here even if he knew that we called him for getting our Nandu married to him" he said to her in low voice so as Nandini shouldn't hear him. "Yes, Alya coming with me last night was really unexpected, I had to drop her because her car broke down" he tried to explain. Mr. Murthy didn't talk anything.

''Agar main Alya ki jagah mera friend Abhimanyu ko le aata tho bhi aap yahi kehenge?" Manik asked him. "Nahi" he answered. "So, what's the difference between Alya and Abhimanyu?" he asked them. Mr. & Mrs. Murthy looked at each other. "Mere liye tho koi difference nahi hai, agar difference hai aap ke mann mein hai" he told them. Nandini came out. "Kya baatein chal raha hai?" she asked feeling the tension in the air. "Kuch nahi, we were asking Manik to have dinner with us" Shannoo said. "Yes, you should have dinner with us, please" Nandini asked. "Ok, in that case, chachi I would like help you in cooking" he said to her. "Yeah, I would like to" she smiled and Manik followed her to kitchen.

"Chachi, I'm sorry if I had hurt you yesterday. It was not intentional" he said. "I understand Manik, I wont say that hume bura nahi laga, yes, we felt bad, but on seeing how you handled this situation, I'm relieved. At least we got to know that you took a step to tell us this" she smiled. "Thank you for understanding chachi, Nandini and me, we aren't clear about this relationship, I know we liked each other's company, but shaadi ke liye sirf ye kaafi nahi hota, I need some time too" Manik said to her. "Take your time Manik" she smiled at him. He asked her if he could arrange the table for dinner. "No need, I will do it" she stopped him but he continued.

"Aap kyu taqleef le rahi hai chachi, main hu na, I will anyway help mom if I'm at home" Manik said setting the table. "Nandu, dekh lo isse, tum hi mujhe help karna" she said looking at Nandini who sat with her chacha scrolling through her phone. "Ha chachi, Nandini se zyada main aap ka help karunga" he said boasting about his nature to help others. Shannoo goes to get the dishes. Nandini comes towards the table. "Mujhe aise kyu dekh rahi ho?" he asked when he caught Nandini staring at him. "For making chachi scold me for not doing this?" she pointed to the table. "Kar lena chahiye tha" he said teasing her. Soon they all sat for dinner.

"Mmm...chachi, the food is so tasty" Manik complimented her while Nandini and her chacha ate in silence. "Don't you all chat while eating?" he asked them. "Aisa nahi hai Manik, bas ye log kabhi mujhe compliment nahi dete" she said looking at both of them. Mr. Murthy instantly replied, "Shannoo ji agar aap sach mein khaana swaadisht banayi tho hum compliment dete hai na". "Matlab, the food isn't tasty now?" she asked him who is busy in eating. She took his plate from him. "Shannoo ji, you shouldn't take plate while I'm eating" he said in a complaining tone. She didn't even spare a look at him. "Shannoo ji bas thodi salt zyada hui thi, baaki sab theek hai, please mera plate wapas do" he asked and she gave it.

"Chachi tum humesha achi khaana banati ho na, daily hum tumhare tarreef isliye nahi karte, Manik tho pehli baar khaa raha hai tho, he is just saying it out of courtesy" Nandini said to chachi so that she would end a fight with her chacha. "Acha, main jis kaam se yaha aaya tha bhul hi gaya!" Manik said and they looked on to him. "Me, mom and dad thought we should arrange a Sangeet and Mehndi party for Abhimanyu and Mukti, ab shaadi South Indian ho tho kuch gaane South Indian ki hona chahiye and Nandini, I need your help in that" Manik said. "South Indians ki shaadi mein ye sab naach gaana nahi hota hai, tho South Indian songs kyu" Mr. Murthy intervened.

"Ha, I know but Sangeet and Mehndi will light up the mood, Shaadi tho simple ho hi jayega, but we can at least celebrate the pre-wedding rituals" Manik said to him. "Ok I will arrange the songs" Nandini said readily. "Thank you" Manik replied. He bid them good night and started off from there. "Nandu, go drop him till the car" her chachi suggested and Nandini joined him. She stood beside him and smiled when he looked at her. "Khaana bahut acha tha, and its good that you haven't made it" he said and Nandini eyed at him. "Agar tum bana leti tho salt ki jagah sugar add karti hogi" he teased her. "You still seem to remember that carrot halwa I made" she said. "Of course how can I forget it?" Manik smiled and went home after bidding bye to her.