02 | And We Meet Again

DIANA
***

The next day, I walked to my friend's house as she wasn't that far away to help me get ready. Only after I grabbed a breakfast sandwich from the corner bodega run by the sweet old Dominican lady, Rosa whom I knew from when I was a teen.

As I stood outside Isabella's apartment complex, I glanced up at the intercom system. I pressed the button marked with Isabella's last name, "Jimenez" A crackling sound followed before Isabella's voice came through the speaker, "Who is it?"

"It's me, Diana."

"Hold on a sec." Moments later, the door buzzed. I pushed the door open and made my way to Isabella's apartment.

We met back in East LA and she agreed to move all the way here to be with me. Since senior year, we've been friends and haven't been apart since.

Isabella stood in the doorway, her presence a vibrant contrast against the dull tones of the hallway.

"Hey, compa." She kissed me on the cheek before letting me in.
(Girl)

Despite having moved to New York, Isabella still paid tribute to her Chicana culture— Chunky hoop earrings, lip liner and gloss, and high-waisted jeans with a crop top topped with an oversized flannel.

I loved that about her.

Stepping into Isabella's apartment, I glanced around at the rich colors and diverse decorations— Posters of lowriders and retro vintage Mexican art filled the walls. A collection of Latin music on vinyl records hung around in the corner. The furniture had a touch of retro charm, and the air subtly smelled of spices and marijuana.

She had an altar made for Virgen De Guadalupe with candles lit and numerous offerings for her.

My eyes widened with amusement, "Isabella, your place is amazing. It's like home but right here in New York."

Isabella grinned, her dark brown eyes sparkling with pride, "Thanks, compa. You know, you can take the girl out of East LA, but you can't take East LA out of the girl." She said as she walked to the kitchen.
(Girl)

I chuckled, spotting a colorful serape draped over the back of the couch and a framed photo of the iconic LA skyline on the wall.

Isabella grabbed two Jarritos from the fridge, "Gotta keep the roots alive, you know? No matter how far away we are from home."

Isabella handed me a Jarrito, its glass cool to the touch. After I popped its cap open with my teeth, the fruity aroma of the juice wafted into the air, prompting me to inhale it.

"True that. It's what makes you, you." I put my drink in the air, further showing my agreement with her statement.

"So, spill, Isa. Anything new to share about back home?"

With a soft sigh, she leaned against the kitchen counter and took one last sip before beginning to tell me a story.

"You remember Maria, right?" I nodded, "She had a baby."

I almost choked on my drink, "No way! Maria from high school?"

"The one and only. And guess what? Pedro's the father."

My brows furrowed, "Your brother? Now that's crazy."

She ran her fingers through the mane of her wavy waist-length hair, sighing once again, "That's not the end, she showed up at a family reunion with the baby and told everyone."

"Then, Mamá kicked Pedro out because he didn't wanna take care of it."

"I'm sorry, Isa. Are you okay?"