26 | The Perfect Bestfriend

DIANA
***

As the door creaked open, I was met with a sight that felt like a punch. A brunette woman was straddling Alejandro. Tears threatened to fall as I sat my suitcase and bag down, hastily stuffing everything within reach.

"Diana!" He shrieked. "I didn't know you were coming back."

I slammed my belongings on the floor, then turned around.

Turning around, my eyes locked onto him. Every shared moment, every whispered promise, now tainted with the vivid image before me. A mix of disgust and rage surged through me, overpowering any remnants of love that might have lingered. It felt like I was reliving every single moment of our long and tumultuous relationship in a matter of seconds. Memories of laughter, tears, joy, and pain all came flooding back, but they all meant nothing now. It was as if my mind had finally made up its own and nothing, not even my delusions could stop it. It was a difficult realization to come to, but it was a necessary one.

The beat of my heart slowed dangerously and the air in the room became hard to breathe, "Really, Alejandro?" My voice wavered, a blend of shaky vulnerability and restrained fury.

I glanced at the woman who I thought was my best friend, Isabella. She stood, covering herself, displaying no remorse. Her nonchalance felt like a second betrayal, rubbing salt in the wound.

"With her? You didn't even have the decency to—"

Isabella rolled her eyes, "Love, we've been doing this before you two got together," she chuckled.

Her words cut deep, making me flinch from the unexpectedness of it all.

As I stood in front of them, The salty droplets seemed to have a life of their own, tears cascaded down my face like a never-ending waterfall. Despite my efforts to regain composure, I couldn't stop the tears from flowing. I felt a sudden sense of weakness and vulnerability as if my emotions were laid bare for all to see.

I stared at her longer, wallowing in the betrayal. Briefly, I closed my eyes, With a bitter laugh escaping my lips, I couldn't hold back any longer. "You know what?"

Without another thought, I leaped at her, landing on top, and began unleashing my anger.

The shouts from Alejandro for me to stop were useless and powerless, it gave me satisfaction for him to be the one not in control for once.

I grabbed a handful of her hair, dragged her to the living room, and began to kick her relentlessly until I was satisfied with how bloody she became. The violence offered temporary relief, a chaotic outlet for the anger seething from within.

As I caught my breath, I brushed my hair away from my face and then went back to retrieve my belongings.

"Diana—" He pleaded.

"You don't say shit to me," I stopped him right then and there, "Don't call, don't text, nothing."

I began walking towards the door with my head held high and my dignity still intact.

"And you can have the apartment," I looked over my shoulder, the weight of the words emphasizing the finality of a chapter of my life.

I walked to the car, opened the door, and threw my things in.

"What—"

I got in the car, resting my head in my palm, "Just drive," I demanded.

He did exactly that.