10 | A Gentle Presence

DIANA
***

The sun sank below the horizon painting Brooklyn in pink and orange hues. The trees swayed gently with each passing breeze, allowing the sunlight through the green leaves. In the distance, the soft melodies of Portuguese jazz played, adding a soothing touch to the summer evening— but not soothing enough to console my relentless tears.

I sat alone on the stoop of my apartment building, my eyes and cheeks wet with tears at the news I received from my mother.

I savored the sight around me; Brooklyn was beginning to feel like home. I made friends and even started getting to know the Dominican lady who owned the bodega on the corner.

"Diana," Dante's deep voice broke through the ambient sounds of the evening, a gentle calling that consoled me every time I heard it.

I looked up, and his thick eyebrows furrowed, most likely noticing the stains of tears on my cheeks.

Dante stood tall and confident. His hazel eyes, like flecks of gold, held a warmth that contrasted his exterior. His hair slicked back, and caught the remnants of daylight, bringing out its dark, lustrous strands. Dressed in a black leather jacket over a button-up shirt, A golden cross necklace adorned his neck, shining in the sunlight.

"What's wrong?" he asked, concern etched on his face.

As I looked into his hazel eyes, I felt a sense of comfort and warmth that enveloped me. The way he looked at me with genuine care made me feel like I wasn't alone in this world. It was as if he understood me without me having to say a word, and that meant everything to me at that moment.

I took a shaky breath before allowing the words to spill out. Dante listened with a patience that felt like a warm embrace.

"I'm here for you, Diana. Whatever you need, I got you."

He pulled me into a comforting embrace, the warmth of his body immediately calming me and my racing thoughts.

His strong arms enveloped me in reassurance, fingers tracing soothing circles on my back. The velvety sound of his voice intertwined with the shaky rhythm of my breath, his honest words offering a sense of security. His embrace was warm, powerful, and reassuring, making me feel safe and protected.

At that moment, I knew that I could trust Dante with my heart and soul, and I felt a deep sense of gratitude for his presence in my life.

As my tears subsided, he pulled away just enough to meet my gaze. He looked into my eyes with a sincerity that touched my heart, "Everything gonna be okay, I promise."

I managed a small, grateful smile. A flicker of hope reawakened in me.

"You know— You manage to look beautiful even when you cry." He flashed a dimpled smile, attempting to make me laugh with his corny words.

After I sniffled, a hearty laugh escaped me at his words. He always had a way of making me laugh even at times when it seemed impossible.

"I have to go but I'll pick you up at 8," He pushed a stray hair into place, "We can go to the pizzeria and get your favorite pizza— whatever makes you feel better."

Nodding with an unwavering smile on my face, I looked up into his eyes. He wiped away the last traces of tears before placing a delicate kiss on my temple, leaving me with the vivid memory of his reassuring presence.

 He wiped away the last traces of tears before placing a delicate kiss on my temple, leaving me with the vivid memory of his reassuring presence