40 | Our Confessions

DIANA
***

As we strolled down the street of my old apartment building, the sun cast a warm, golden glow on the surrounding buildings. Its rays illuminated the street, casting long shadows on the dying trees that lined the sidewalk. We strolled at a leisurely pace, taking in the sights and sounds of Bed Stuy. The sun, though it was slowly setting behind us, still managed to create a mesmerizing picture of colors in the sky, with various shades of pink, orange, and purple effortlessly harmonizing together.

Children's laughter and playful banter filled the air like they did years ago, and the neighborhood still had its effortless charm. In contrast to the neighborhood in the 80s black, Hispanic, and Italian children played with one another, some playing a game of hopscotch while others played double dutch.

"Diana," Dante said, his voice soft but audible.

I slightly turned to him, my eyes locking onto his intense hazel ones.

"I wanted to tell you something and you don't have to say it back or anything like that." He rambled on, inciting a small, amused chuckle from me.

"And it may be too soon to say this but..."

I shook my head in amusement. "Dante, spit it out."

"I love you," Dante confessed.

As Dante's sincere declaration echoed through the room, tangible energy seemed to fill the air. It was as if the world had suddenly paused, holding its breath in anticipation of what would come next. My heart began to race as my mind struggled to process the weight and depth of his words. I could feel the intensity of the moment, and it seemed to reverberate throughout my entire being. Every fiber of my being was on edge, waiting to see what would come out of my mouth. "I... I don't know what to say," I stammered, my voice just above a whisper. Dante's gaze remained fixed on mine, a mix of hope and apprehension reflected in the depths of his eyes I loved searching. "You don't have to say anything, Diana. I just needed you to know." Torn between the weight of his confession and the fear of my true feelings, I felt a wave of uncertainty wash over me. The idea of opening my heart to Dante both thrilled and intimidated me. But as I stood there, I reminded myself that some moments were meant to be embraced, regardless of the possible outcome.

"I love you too... I think I always did," I let out, my tone tinged with newfound firmness and certainty.

Dante's entire face lit up. "What did you say? I didn't hear you." He put a hand to his ear, a grin spreading wide on his full lips.

"I said," I teased, elongating each word, "I love you too!" My voice carried a blend of laughter and affection as I exclaimed into his ear.

Without another word, he gracefully twirled me around, lifting me effortlessly into the air. My laughter bubbled up from deep within me, mingling with the warm evening breeze as he spun me in circles. Each moment felt suspended in time, elongated by the sheer bliss of the embrace. As he gently set me back down, I savored the sensation of weightlessness, the world around us fading into a blur of colors and laughter. With a tender smile, he held me close, his arm around my waist, pulling me closer.

The space between our lips diminished as I leaned in, desiring a kiss from him. His soft lips were mere inches from mine when children's chanting interrupted us.

"First comes the children then comes the marriage..."

Dante and I froze, our moment of intimacy interrupted by the innocent chanting of the neighborhood children. I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks as I pulled away from Dante, a sheepish smile spreading across my face. "Looks like we have an audience," I said, casting a glance at the diverse group of children gathered under the stoop of an apartment building.

Dante chuckled, shaking his head in amusement. "Seems like it," he replied, his expression etched with amusement.

With a playful grin, Dante reached out to take my hand, his touch spreading a palpable warmth throughout my body. "Should we go?"

I nodded, unable to suppress the smile that tugged at my lips.