27 | Now, Its Time

DIANA
***

After getting out of the car, two maids open the main doors. My breath was hurried and tears blurred my vision. A crash of emotions bombarded me as I finally reached my bedroom.

In my room, coldness was present, and nipped at the exposed skin of my body, spreading to each limb.

Dante kept up with my every stride and persisted in calling out my name, adding to my sense of urgency to find sanctuary in my bedroom. I sat down on the bench at the foot of my bed and began to slip off one of my sneakers.

"Diana," Dante called out for me, his deep voice laced with concern and empathy. "What happened?"

Finally acknowledging him, I stopped everything that I was doing. In front of me, he squatted down.

I leaned over, my elbows on my knees and my hands covering my face, attempting to conceal the sadness etched on my face and my fear of vulnerability. I didn't want him to see me like the emotional wreck that I was. As my tears continued to flow, without a second thought, I told him about what I had seen with raw honesty.

As I spoke, I could feel the emotions in the air becoming more and more palpable. Dante, who had been listening intently, never took his gaze off my face. He looked at me with a mixture of compassion and genuine worry. As I continued to tell my story, the significance of the memories I had shared with Alejandro seemed to diminish. Dante's unwavering attention and understanding made me feel heard and validated in a way that I had never experienced before. It was as if he not only heard my words but also felt the weight of my emotions.

Dante's touch was delicate as he placed his hand on the side of my lower thigh. His thumb began to rhythmically caress the spot, creating a sense of comfort and security. It was as if he understood the need for physical touch without being too overbearing. As he continued to caress my thigh, the tempo of his thumb movements mirrored the slowing of the beat of my heart, creating a sense of harmony between his touch and my body's natural rhythm.

"Diana— I'm sorry," The deep resonance of his voice reverberated within me as he softly spoke, searching into my eyes almost appearing to further comprehend my emotions at that exact moment.

As he gracefully rose from his squatting position, Dante's movements seemed to carry a silent assurance. His large hand gently enveloped one of mine, a noticeable contrast in size that highlighted the inherent strength and warmth within his touch. He pulled one of my hands from my face. The sensation was unexpected yet oddly comforting, sending a subtle shiver through my frame. The physical contact, his fingers securing around mine, prompted an involuntary acceleration of my heartbeat.

As he reached out and took hold of my hand, he gently pulled me up from the ground. He then tugged me closer to him, drawing me into a warm and sweet embrace. As his strong arms encircled my waist, I instinctively wrapped my arms around his neck. Our chests pressed together, and I could feel the constant beat of his heart. The musky scent of his cologne filled my nostrils, a fragrance that was strangely familiar to me. At that moment, I felt a sense of security and warmth that was a stark contrast to the way I had been feeling, lost and alone. The embrace was so comforting that it quieted my weeping and allowed me to finally take a deep breath, after what had felt like an eternity of holding it in.

In need of support, I asked him something I'd never thought I would in a million years, "Can you stay here for tonight?" I pulled away slightly, allowing myself to look into his eyes.

After briefly hesitating, he nodded.

The moonlight seeped into the room from the balcony, creating an intimate atmosphere that seemed to invite vulnerability.

Leaning slightly back from the embrace, I looked into Dante's eyes. The moonlight accentuated the tenderness in his gaze and the brown and green in his eyes, turning them a shade lighter.

As I gazed deeply into Dante's eyes, an impulsive wave of emotion washed over me. It was a feeling of longing, a sensation I hadn't felt in a long time. At that moment, it dawned on me that I still had feelings for him, just like I did when we were younger. But back then, I was too scared to express my true emotions, and so I kept my feelings to myself. However, now, as I stood there, gazing into his eyes, I knew it was time.

With a mixture of uncertainty and determination, I closed the remaining space between us, our lips meeting in a hesitant but passionate kiss.

The room seemed to pulse with unspoken tension as Dante deepened the kiss, reciprocating the same amount of desire that he stirred within.