44 | Could It Be?

DIANA
***

Micheal, my gay friend who always had a knack for reading between the lines, leaned in his expression grave. I trusted him with a lot even the secrets I never told even Dante. The biggest one is that I'm bisexual.

"Diana, have you ever thought about where all of Dante's family's wealth comes from?" Micheal asked, his voice low, barely audible over the hum of the cafeteria.

My eyebrows furrowed, caught off guard by the sudden question. "Well, I assumed it was just from their businesses all over the country, plus they come from old money," I replied, a hint of uncertainty staining my tone.

Micheal shook his head, his blue eyes narrowing slightly. "Maybe," he said, "but have you ever considered the possibility that there might be more to it than meets the eye?"

My pulse quickened as Micheal's thought-provoking words sank in. I had always admired Dante's family's opulence, but I had never stopped to question its origins. Could there be something else?

"If it is, what are you thinking it might be?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

Micheal leaned back in his chair, his piercing gaze unwavering and his arms crossed. "I'm not saying anything for certain," he replied carefully after a sigh, "but you know how rumors swirl around families like his. Some people say they have ties to... you know."

"I don't know," The furrow between my eyebrows deepened.

He took a look around the cafeteria before leaning in once again. "The mafia," My heart skipped a beat as Michael's implication hung in the air. The Mafia. It was a word whispered in hushed tones, a shadow that lurked on the fringes of society, and now it was being insinuated that it might be closer to home than I ever realized.

"Hey, listen you don't have to look like you've seen a ghost, it is just it could be you know?" A look of sympathy crossed his features as he looked over my expression.

"On the flip side, maybe you two can get married and you'll be one of those hot mob wives." Micheal shrugged, fidgeting with the olive pick hanging out the corner of his mouth.

As Micheal continued to talk, offering words of caution and advice, my mind lingered on the possibility of Dante's family being a part of the Italian mafia. Has Dante ever hurt anyone? If it is true, will Dante be next in line?

As much as I wanted to believe that everything would turn out fine, a small voice in the back of my mind warned me that danger lurked just around the corner.