49 | A Night of Revelations (Part One)

DIANA
***

Soon we arrived at a big mansion. The yard stretched across several acres and there were several luxurious cars parked neatly out front.

After Dante had gotten out of the car, he swiftly opened the door to the passenger side, without sparing me another glance. When I just began walking he had already walked halfway to the entrance of the mansion.

"Dante, can you wait?" I breathed out, my heels loudly clicking against the brick driveway as I attempted to catch up to him.

Just as I reached him, abruptly, he stopped and turned around, almost colliding with his chest.

I sighed, long and hard before thinking about anything I could say to fix whatever I might've triggered. "Look, Dante, I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"

He kept his gaze on everything but me and it hurt deeply for him not to even be able to spare me a glance. "It's fine."

As I watched him walk away, I felt a sudden sense of disconnection. It was as if the person I had fallen in love with, the Dante I knew, had disappeared in an instant. He turned his back to me and continued to make his way towards the grand doors, leaving me standing there alone. It was a surreal moment, as if time had slowed down and I was watching everything from a distance. The silence between us felt heavy, almost suffocating. I couldn't help but wonder what had gone wrong and why he was suddenly so distant. At the doors, he handed me a mask and fastened on a mask of his own.

As he approached the door, he took a deep breath and knocked twice. Within seconds, the door creaked open, revealing a tall and striking Italian man. He was dressed in an impeccably tailored black suit, with a crisp white shirt and a black tie that seemed to complement his sharp features.

As the man turned to face him, he immediately noticed the man's luscious grey hair, styled with perfect curls. The man's smile was wide and welcoming, showcasing his pearly white teeth. He greeted him with a cheer in his voice that almost seemed deafening. "Dante, how are you?" he exclaimed, his voice filled with warmth and enthusiasm.

They exchanged brief pleasantries before the tall man stepped aside, clearing the way for the both of us, politely.

As we proceeded deeper into the sprawling mansion, I followed closely behind Dante, feeling a bit out of place amidst the unfamiliar surroundings. Standing by his side, I observed in silence as he engaged in conversation with a group of unknown men. Despite the intriguing atmosphere of the mansion, I couldn't shake the feeling that I didn't quite belong there.

As I gazed around, my eyes were drawn to the elegant men and women who were dressed to the nines in their glamorous ball gowns and crisp suits. They all appeared to belong to the upper class, exuding an air of sophistication and refinement. Their faces were concealed behind a variety of beautifully crafted masquerade masks, each with a unique design that added to the mystery and allure of the occasion. It was clear that everyone had taken great care to look their absolute best, and the result was a breathtaking display of opulence and grandeur.

The Italian man who opened the door for me and Dante peeked over Dante's shoulder at me. "And who is this pretty lady?" he smiled and I returned the gesture.

His lively eyes glanced between me and Dante. "You weren't gonna introduce me to your girlfriend?"

Moving around Dante, I positioned myself in front, determined to assert my presence. "My name is Diana, Diana Alexandre," I announced, the words dripping with an edge that betrayed the bitterness I felt, "I'm a friend of Dante's." The word "friend" tasted sour on my tongue, and I made no effort to hide the disdain in my tone.