23 | A Manor Fit For Royalty

DIANA
***

Two tall men standing at the gate opened its doors for us. As the car continued to move it came to a stop in front of the grand fountain.

The driver got out of the car to open the door for me and my mother. We stepped out of the sleek SUV and onto the pavers.

Several luxurious cars were parked out front, boasting the Luciano family wealth.

I gaped at the beautiful architecture before me. It was just how I remembered it— tall white Ionic pillars held up the grey roof. Circular balconies adorned the second story of the manor, creating a palace-like touch.

A well-maintained garden, lush with green trees and plants creates a contrast against the Greek-inspired architecture.

The manor is surrounded by broad grounds, covered in lush grass. The manicured lawns and the well-groomed trees.

My mother looked back at me, rolling her eyes at my admiration. She walked to the flared staircase. She knocked against the grand glass door. Intricate details are carved in the main doors of the manor.

Heels clicked against the floor, growing louder. Ms. D'angelo appeared with a dimpled smile.

She still looked as good and young as she did when I first met her— she looked like she could be Sophia Loren's sister. She exuded her classic Hollywood glamour; Dark, glossy curls styled in a chic updo. Her almond-shaped eyes, adorned with long eyelashes, resembled a rich espresso.

Gracefully arched eyebrows accentuated the expressiveness of her eyes, meticulously groomed. The classic Roman shape of her nose added elegance to her facial features. Lush, full lips formed a natural cupid's bow, adorned with a dark red hue.

High, defined cheekbones caught the light, creating subtle shadows that enhanced her beauty. A stylish Chanel outfit further brought out the natural curviness of her figure.

She opened the doors, instantly embracing my mother and kissing her cheeks.

"Her voice, thick with Sicilian warmth, greeted my mother, "Valentina, bedda matri, how much I missed you."
(My god)

"Me too, Calogera. How have you been?" my mother reciprocated.

It was good to see my mother so excited, chatting with her best friend of many decades. I hope that could be me and Isabella one day.

As they exchanged pleasantries, Ms. Corleone's attention turned to me, "Diana, Comu si bedda chi ti vitti." (How beautiful you look)

Promptly, She translated her vibrant and bouncy Sicilian.

During my childhood, Ms. Luciano was a constant source of love and support. She always had kind words to say about me and my achievements, and she was always willing to lend an ear whenever I needed to talk. She was almost like a second mother, "Thank you, Ms. Luciano."

"Please, call me Ms. Corleone, I've been divorced for many years."

"Come in." She stepped aside, allowing us to roam farther into the manor and my mother went to the tidy kitchen with Ms. Corleone.

Dalida sang beautifully in French, provoking a wave of nostalgia washed over me. Memories I had of being here and the good taste in music Ms Corleone always had, ranging from bossa nova to soul.

The melodies only brought the classical essence of the manor together. I looked around, adoring the mansion's high ceilings, and sophisticated details, polished chandeliers, and fancy furnishings. It was evident the manor was redesigned to Ms. Corleone's preferences.