36 | Autumn Adventures

DIANA
***

Just as I almost reached the car, Dante's arms swiftly wrapped around my waist, bringing me back with a grin on his lips.

"Gotcha!" he exclaimed, his minty breath tickling my ear as he spun me around to face him.

He bent down ever so slightly to meet my gaze.

Uncontrollable hearty laughter sprouted from deep within my belly and out my mouth— A type of laughter I could only ever produce when I was with Dante.

"You cheated!" I teased, playfully swatting at his chest.

He chuckled, his hazel eyes sparkling with amusement. "All's fair in love and racing, principessa," he replied, his deep voice filled with affection.

His subtle but loving words filled me with a newfound warmth that contrasted greatly against the cold the autumn breeze carried,  "Come on." His arm around my waist, tugging me closer to him as we began finishing the stroll to the car.

He opened the door to the passenger side of the sleek SUV and helped me climb into the car.

• • •

Throughout the whole ride, I hung out the window, admiring the views of the busy city. The crisp cold air feathered my cheeks making me shiver.

From the halted movement of the car, I knew arrived at the mall and I climbed out as quickly as I got in.

The four-story building was surrounded by large parking lots. The architecture of the mall was modern and sleek with black & white and glass windows. The neon sign read King Plazas- Though it wasn't like any of the malls in LA, I still felt just excited about shopping in it.

"You know I could've opened the door for you." Dante's voice trailed after me.

Instead of answering him, I pulled his hand, rushing towards the entrance of the mall.

Light filtered through the glass ceiling of the mall adding an almost heavenly glow to the very center of the mall. The soft murmur of conversation between Several people walking around with shopping bags of different popular brands filled the air, mingling with the sound of the ongoing big fountain that stood in the very center.

The first story of the mall had stores that included a foot locker, Victoria's Secret, Bath and Body Works, and American Eagle among others. Excitement coursed through my veins as I looked around at all of my favorite stores like a kid in a candy shop.

I turned to Dante with a toothy smile on my face, "Listen, we're going to hit up Tommy Hilfiger first, then Victoria's Secret, the book store, FYE, foot locker, and then Bath and Body Works."

His eyes were filled with amusement as he listened to me ramble. "Okay." he lightly chuckled before following me to my first choice.

I immediately began to look around, spotting a tank top, pants, and accessories that I was more than eager to get my hands on.

Upon catching a glimpse of a crop top that looked like the one Aaliyah wore I picked it up and showed Dante.

"Dante! I think this is the one Aaliyah wore!"

"Aaliyah?" His thick eyebrows pulled together.

"You don't know who Aaliyah is?" I asked, a mixture of shock and disappointment evident in my tone.

He shook his head.

"One of the best female singers of the decade," I explained continuing my shopping as he followed behind me.