18 | Protecting Her

DANTE
***

"Yeah, I mean, I told him I wasn't interested but he keeps bothering me and I keep telling him off but he doesn't take no for an answer." Diana's voice trailed off, a deep furrow in between the space of her eyebrows.

The air fell into a heavy silence, only the noises from the neighborhood filling the gaps. My mind raced as I processed her words, trying to make sense of the situation.

"I see," I replied, my voice calm and composed despite the anger brewing within me. "I'll take care of it."

Our gaze locked into one another as she swiftly turned her head towards me from the familiar scenery of the neighborhood.

She let out a scoff. "What do you mean 'you'll take care of it'?" Her tone was tinged with a hint of incredulity as she jerked her head back slightly, her eyes glaring at me.

Diana's question hung in the air, her gaze unwavering as she awaited my response. I took a moment to gather my thoughts, choosing my words carefully before speaking.

"What I mean is, I'll handle it," I repeated, my words laced with a promise to make sure that Diana wouldn't be bothered any longer. "You shouldn't have to deal with that."

"Listen, Dante," she began, pushing herself off of the stoop of her apartment building and dusting off her pants. "You don't need to  go around beating up guys for me, I'll be fine, I promise."

I shook my head, lost in thought, as my thumb brushed against my bottom lip. The words echoed in my mind, "If only you knew the things I'd do for you."

"I know you're more than capable of handling yourself, Diana," I softened my tone, hoping for her to better take in my words. "But that doesn't mean you have to go through this alone. We're supposed to be in this together, right?"

Diana's stern expression eased as she sighed in surrender. "You're right," she murmured.

"Thank you, Dante. For everything." She spared me a glance before she retreated into her apartment building.

• • •

As I hesitated outside Diana's apartment building, I caught sight of Diana emerging from the lobby, her eyes widening in concern when she saw me. "Dante, what happened?" she exclaimed, her voice filled with worry as she took in his battered appearance.

I forced a weak smile, attempting to downplay the severity of the situation. "Oh, it's nothing, just a little scuffle," I replied, my voice slightly strained with the effort of maintaining the facade.

The way her eyebrows dropped at my words showed that she wasn't convinced in the slightest. She stepped closer, her fingers closing around my chin, moving the head around to search for any bruises or cuts. "You're hurt," she stated, her tone firm yet gentle. "Let me help you."

This time, the smile that tugged at the end of my lips was real from gratitude at her kindness, even as guilt gnawed at my conscience.

"Thanks, Diana," I murmured as I followed her into the building, hand in hand.

As we climbed the stairs to her apartment, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered in the pit of my stomach. I knew I was keeping secrets from her, betraying her trust with each passing moment.

She pushed the door to her apartment open, tugging me farther into the small but cozy space.

"Sit there." she pointed at the toilet seat, and I obliged, watching as she retrieved a medical kit from beneath the sink.