16 | In The Quiet Of The Night

DANTE
***

It was 1:00 am when I entered the comfort of my penthouse. Gisela, my maid, welcomed me. Her loyalty to my family since my childhood. Tonight, her task was unusual– To clothe Diana in something comfortable. However, with her duties, questions inevitably followed.

I stepped into the shower, attempting to wash away the lingering tension. Even after the long shower, sleep eluded me, and my thoughts lingered on the information about Diana's ordeal.

Hesitating by the bedroom door, torn between the need for reassurance and the dread of what I might find. Unable to resist, I checked on her.

My eyes fixated on her, lying in my bed. I couldn't help but feel mesmerized by her serene and peaceful state. She slept on her side with her knees up to her chest, and the covers slightly disheveled around her. The moonlight cascaded through the floor-to-ceiling windows of my bedroom, casting a silvery glow on her features and the creases of my oversized Yankee Jersey that covered her figure. Her full lips were slightly parted, and the gentle sound of her slow and steady breaths filled the quiet room. The sight was beautiful and comforting to see, relaxing my usually tense nerves.

Tenderly pushing a stray hair away from her face caused her to stir with a soft groan, but she remained in a peaceful slumber. My gaze lingered, savoring every delicate detail of her features. Yet, my tranquility shattered as I caught a glimpse of an unpleasant sight— A red, hand-shaped bruise on her cheek.

 Yet, my tranquility shattered as I caught a glimpse of an unpleasant sight— A red, hand-shaped bruise on her cheek