19 | Her Tears

DANTE
***

The slow, subtle nod of her head mirrored the cracks in her composure.

A weight settled on my heart, witnessing the vulnerability etched on her features. Her head hung low and tears streamed down the apples of her cheeks.

It was obvious that she was going through a tough time, and I wished I could be the solution to her pain. Her bottom lip subtly trembling as she struggled to contain her emotions.

Taking an uncertain step forward, she closed the distance, her arms encircling my neck in an unexpected embrace. Our chests brushed against one another, allowing me to feel the rhythm of her heart slowly and hear the shaky, shallow breaths that escaped past her swollen lips.

Stunned momentarily, I reciprocated, wrapping an arm around her waist and drawing our lower bodies closer.

A delicate warmth emanated from her closeness. It was as if her very presence was able to soothe me, relaxing the frantic pace of my heartbeats and syncing with the rhythm of hers. The sensation was both comforting and exhilarating, a reminder that amidst the chaos of my world, she was a source of tranquility that only a few were lucky enough to find.

"I'm sorry," I murmured in a whisper, resting my head atop hers.

As I held her in my arms, I felt the subtle tightening of her embrace, as if she was hesitant to let go, "Thank you."

Her voice quivered with a tinge of fragility and tenderness. Gradually, she loosened her grip, and her arms slid down from my neck.

Lifting her head to meet my gaze, a lopsided smile graced her fatigued features, warming my heart. The brown pools of her puffy eyes held the remnants of tears, glistening in the dim light.

After wiping away her tears with the sleeve of my jersey, she took a deep breath, "I'm going to take a shower." Though her voice was low, there was a sense of determination in her tone.

" Though her voice was low, there was a sense of determination in her tone