39 | A Silent Vow

DANTE
***

I stood by my uncle as we spoke and watched Diana leave through the window.

"You know, Dante," Uncle Marco began, his voice carrying a tone of wisdom, "Love is a beautiful thing, but it's also fragile. You've found something special in Diana, and it's up to you to nurture it."

I nodded, my gaze drifting towards Diana, who stood patiently outside, her eyes inspecting the streets of Brooklyn with a sense of quiet anticipation.

The sight of her always made a smile grace my lips, "I know, Ziu," I replied, a hint of determination lacing my words. "I'll do whatever it takes to make her happy."
(Uncle)

"Did you tell her yet?"

Just as quick as my usual determination came, it went. "No." My voice came out quieter than anticipated.

Uncle Marco glanced over at me, his emotions unreadable on his face like I remembered them being, "You think you'll ever tell her?"

I paused, taking a minute to gather the complex emotions I felt within, "I don't think I could ever tell her about that side of me. I love her but I don't think I'll ever have the courage to tell her about what I do." I confessed.

Uncle Marco listened attentively.

"I'm afraid that she'll see me in a different light. That she might- That she might leave me for good this time." I took in a deep breath.

Uncle Marco's hand plopped on my shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly, "Dante, If she's the one, she'll stay. If she's not, you know what'll happen."

The possibility made a lump form in my throat. "Right."

Uncle Marco's words resonated deep within me, stirring up a mix of emotions and doubts I had long tried to suppress. The fear of losing Diana, of revealing the darker parts of myself and facing rejection, loomed in my mind.

"I worry that I'm not enough for her," I added.

"Love isn't about being enough; it's about being willing to try, to learn, to grow together. And as long as you have that willingness in your heart, you'll always be enough for Diana."

He held my gaze for a minute longer. "Just remember that."

I nodded, finally releasing a breath that I held in. "Thank you, Zio. I needed to hear that."

Uncle Marco gave me one of the warm smiles that he rarely gave, his eyes reflecting pride and affection. "Anytime, Dante. Remember, I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

As I stole one last glance at Diana, her silhouette bathed in the soft glow of the setting sun, I made a silent vow to cherish her, protect her, and love her with all that I am.

Promptly after, we went outside to meet Diana.

"Diana," Dante said, his voice soft yet filled with unwavering affection.

Diana turned to me, her eyes as expressive and captivating as they had always been. "Hey, Dante," she greeted, showing off her white teeth with a small smile.

"Until next time, Diana," Uncle Marco said, offering her a smile.

Diana's smile in return briefly filled me with a sense of fulfillment, reminding me that I had the woman I could dream of. "Thank you for the wonderful meal, Marco. It was a pleasure to see you again." Diana's smile had a captivating effect on me, causing my breath to catch in my throat.

Uncle Marco's eyes twinkled with mischief as he glanced between the two of us. "Take care of this one, Diana. He may be a handful, but he's got a good heart."

Diana chuckled, her gaze softening as she glanced back at me. "I will, Marco. Don't worry."

With a final nod, Uncle Marco bid us farewell.