11) Distractions

"The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back down the other side. Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark." Daryl explained to the group, going over the plan to find Sophia.

"Stay quiet and stay sharp. Keep space between you but always stay within sight of each other." Rick nodded, motioning to everyone.

"Everybody assemble your packs. Keep on those repairs. We've got to get this R.V. ready to move." Shane looked to Dale.

Dale nodded, smiling to Alicia. "We won't stay here a minute longer than we have to. Good luck out there. Bring Sophia back."

Alicia walked behind Daryl, going straight into the forest. She wasn't going to lie, it made her a little weary but they had to find Sophia.

She kept her hand on her gun in its holster. "Daryl..." she whispered. "What's that?" She pointed to a tent a few yards away.

"She could be in there." Shane looked to Alicia. "Good eye."

"Could be a whole bunch of things in there." Daryl mumbled.

"Carol. Call out softly. If she's in there, yours is the first voice she should hear." Rick looked to the older woman, allowing her to step forward.

"Sophia, sweetie, are you in there? Sophia, it's mommy. Sophia. We're all here, baby. It's mommy."

As she said this, Daryl began to walk closer to the tent, eventually opening it. "Daryl?" Alicia called out, waiting.

He walked out, shaking his head. "It ain't her."

"What's in there?" Alicia was about to look for herself but Daryl gently grabbed her arm, pulling her to walk away with him.

"Some guy. Did what Jenner said. Opted out. Ain't that what he called it?" He looked to her, silently telling her to let it go.

Before anymore conversation could be made, church bells started to ring in the distance. Without another word, they began to run towards the noise.

"What direction?" Shane looked to Rick.

"I think that way." Rick pointed. "I'm pretty sure."

Shane groaned, running faster. "Damn it's hard to tell out here.

"If we heard them, maybe Sophia did too." Carol said hopefully.

"Someone's ringing those bells, maybe calling others." Glenn nodded.

"Or signaling they found her." Alicia agreed.

"She could be ringing them herself. Come on."

—————
The group arrived at the church, tired and out of breath. Alicia leaned against a tree, swear rolling down her face.

"That can't be it. Got no steeple no bells." Shane looked to Rick.

Rick just walked into the church, waiting for the rest of the group. Alicia sighed, watching as a few walkers stood up from the pews.

She pulled out her knife. Daryl stepped in front of her, about to kill one before she tapped his shoulder.

"Lemme have some fun cowboy." She grinned, plunging her knife into the walkers skull.

Daryl watched with a smirk on his face. Why did she do that to him? Why did he find that attractive?

He shook his head, walking up to the Jesus statue. "Yo J.C.... You taking requests?"

Alicia nudged his arm. "When you get struck by lightning it's not my fault."

He rolled his eyes. "Cmon, let's keep looking."

"I'm telling you, it's the wrong church. It's got no steeple, Rick. There's no steeple." Shane was fussing when they stepped outside.

"A timer." Daryl said. "It's on a timer."

Daryl and Alicia walked back around the church, looking around the woods edge. "If we weren't looking for a lost kid... it'd be nice out here." Alicia sighed.

Daryl snorted. "Too bad some little girls playing hide and seek with the walkers."

She looked up. "Don't say that." She mumbled. "Sophia could be in serious danger." Alicia sighed, all her worries from the past few days coming out. "I mean what if we don't find her? What if a walker gets to her before we do? What if she's already dead? What if-"

"Hey." Daryl put his hands on the side of her face, making her stand still. "We're gonna find her." He nodded.

She nodded back, breathing deeply. "Ok." She pulled away from him, running her hands through her hair. "Ok."

If she was being honest, her mind had completely wandered from Sophia. When he put his face that close to hers, all she could think about was his lips. God she wanted him to kiss her in that moment.

No. No no no. She scolded herself in her head. Don't think like that. Friends. Just friends.

As they walked away, back to their group Alicia continued to have an internal war with herself. At least it was a good distraction.