57) Family

Alicia sat on the perch with Glenn, the cold compress Hershel had given him on his head. Her fever had gotten worse, and it had become very clear that Alicia had gotten whatever the hell this flu was.

"I keep thinking about Jordan." She sighed. "I know Beth's with her but I can't help but worry." She laughed. "I known her for two days and we've already been separated."

Glenn looked at her. "You're a good mom Ali. You're doing what's best for her. That's all that matters."

"It hurts Daryl that he can't hold her. I can tell." She sighed. "Every time he looks at her... it's like he's a totally different person. He's gentle, he's softer... he's less Dixon."

Glenn laughed. "She looks just like him. Except for her hair."

Alicia groaned, throwing her head back. "Don't remind me. I was praying she wouldn't have my hair."

He laughed again, shaking his head. "What's wrong with red hair?"

She scoffed. "Nothing except for the fact that we live outside half the time and we don't have any sunscreen lying around. She's gonna be crisper than a piece of bacon."

The two looked at each other, bursting into laughter. Soon that laughter turned into fits of coughing which made them laugh harder.

Finally they calmed down, Glenn taking her hand in his. "You know... I'm really glad I met you. There's nobody I'd rather be sick with."

Alicia chuckled. "Oh yeah. Big sister of the year award right here."

"That day at the CDC I thought you were joking when you told me that." He said. "I didn't know I'd actually be stuck with you."

"You trying to get a refund?" She raised her eyebrows.

"No." He laughed. "I'm just glad you meant it."

Alicia looked at him, smiling. "I'd always wanted a little brother." She said. "It just took the end of the world to find the best one." She laid her head on his shoulder. "I'm glad it was you."

Glenn nodded. "My mom used to tell me that family was a choice. That it wasn't defined by blood." He shrugged. "I always thought she was just talking some nonsense about friendship."

She sighed. "You know I really think that even if the world hadn't gone to shit... we would all still find each other. Somehow. We're all family and I think it was meant to be like that one way or the other."

"You think everyone in this prison would have been one big happy family?" He asked.

"Not everyone." She shook her head. "But you and Maggie would have found each other. Daryl and I would have. Rick would have found us and then we'd all be best friends." She laughed. "Who knows. Maybe we would all go out to the bar every Friday night."

Glenn chuckled. "Not the bar. I still can't drink for shit."

Alicia laughed. "Oh God. Do you remember a few weeks ago when we all played poker and you got shit faced?"

"Unfortunately yes I do."

"You threw up everywhere and I was still pregnant and it made me so sick. So I threw up to even though I hadn't had the first sip of alcohol." She laughed.

"I told yall back at the CDC to never let me drink again." Glenn scoffed.

"Well... we just wanted to see how bad it would get."