27) Stuck

Alicia and Daryl lay on their little pallet, made from blankets and the ground below them. It was cold, and Alicia snuggled into Daryl's side to keep warm, her left hand reaching up to play with his hair.

They were a little farther away from everyone else. Enough that if they spoke in a low voice they wouldn't wake anyone.

"You think we're safe with Rick?" She whispered, looking up at her boyfriend.

He sighed. "Rick's fine by me." He shrugged. His arm was under her, pulling her closer into his side.

She nodded, letting the silence wash back over them for a few minutes. "You know my hair used to be purple."

Daryl looked down at her, furrowing his brows. "How the hell is it red now, then?"

She laughed. "It was semi-permanent dye. I actually had an appointment to go get it permanently died the day the world went to shit."

She felt Daryl chuckled underneath her. "That sucks."

"Yeah... it does." She sighed. "I miss my purple. I looked badass."

"Yeah I bet you did." She smirked, lightly tickling her side.

"Daryl..." She whispered after a minute. "I know you're not good with feelings... but I need to know something."

He tensed under her, his mind racing with what she was gonna ask. He grunted in response, hoping for the best.

"Why did you agree to start seeing me when we barely knew each other? Why me?"

He sat up, pulling her with him. "I don't know." He whispered. Alicia could tell he was being honest. "If it'd been any other girl... I wouldn't have even kissed her if I felt any feeling like that towards her."

She nodded, cupping his cheek in her hand. "I feel like we've moved so fast. They're so much we still don't know about each other... but Daryl-"

"Don't say it." He whispered, grabbing her hand. "Please don't. I can't say it back."

She nodded, leaning towards him to rest her head on his chest. "I don't remember what loving someone like this feels like." She admitted.

He nodded. "I want to." He said, holding her face to where she looked back up at him. "I want to love you." He said, leaning down so their foreheads were touching.

She smiled. "I want you to love me."

Daryl searched her eyes for any sign of doubt. Any trace of a lie at all... but he could find any.

Alicia had never been so sure of anything in her life. She wanted Daryl to love her. She needed him to love her.

"Can you?"

He nodded. "Eventually."

She smiled as he kissed her forehead. "Good." She mumbled, pulling him down so his lips were on hers. "Just so you know... you're stuck with me now."

He smiled. "Ain't nobody I'd rather be stuck with."