56) Ill be alright

"It's spread." Hershel said as they sat around the council table. "Everyone who survived the attack in cell block D. Sasha, Caleb, and now others."

"Oh Jesus." Daryl groaned. "So what do we do?"

"First things first. Cell block A is isolation." Hershel explained. "We keep the sick people there like we tried with Karen and David."

"What the hell are we gonna do about that?" Daryl scoffed.

Carol turned to him. "Ask Rick to look into it. Try to make a timeline. Who was where when."

"But what are we gonna do to stop this?" Alicia asked.

"You can't. You get it you have to go through it." Hershel sighed.

"But it just kills you?" Michonne scoffed.

"The illness doesn't. The symptoms do. We need antibiotics." Hershel said.

"We been through every pharmacy nearby. And then some." Daryl said.

Alicia furrowed her eyebrows. "Isn't there a veterinary college not too far from here? People might not of thought to raid that."

Daryl shook his head. "Yeah there's a college but it's pretty far Ali. About 50 miles." He looked at her for a minute. "Too big a risk before... it ain't now. Imma take a group out." He stood up quickly, grabbing his crossbow. "Best not waste anymore time."

"I'm in." Michonne said.

Hershel turned to her. "You haven't been exposed. Daryl had. You get in a car with him..."

She grinned, shaking her head. "He's already given me fleas."

The group laughed, Alicia laughing at her husbands irritated face. Hershel stood up. "I can lead the way. I know where everything's kept."

Alicia shook her head. "Hershel... your leg." She sighed. "Sooner or later they're gonna have to run."

He sighed. "I can draw you a map." Daryl nodded. "There are other precautions I feel we should take."

"Like what." Carol asked.

"There's no telling how long it'll be before Daryl and his group return. Wouldn't it make sense for us to separate the most vulnerable? We can use the administration building. Separate office, separate room."

"Who is the most vulnerable?" Glenn asked.

"The very young." Hershel said.

"What about the old?"
—————
Alicia sighed, pushing some hair out of Daryl's face. "You be careful." She told him.

He nodded. "Always am." Alicia put a hand up to her chest, a strange tickle in her throat. She started coughing, her throat burning slightly. "You alright?" Daryl asked.

"Yeah." She nodded, coughing again.

"How long you been coughing like that?" He asked.

She shook her head, shrugging. "This is the first time."

He nodded, placing a hand over her forehead. He pulled it away. "You're burning up." He grabbed her hand, dragging her into the prison. "I'm taking you to Hershel."

"Daryl-"

"Don't argue."

Hershel looked Alicia over, sighing when he finished. "You've definitely got a fever and your throat is red. You need to be isolated with the rest of the sick."

Alicia flinched as Daryl slammed his hand on the table. "Damn it." He cursed.

"Hey." She said. "It might not even be the flu. And it might not be your fault." Daryl opened his mouth to speak but Alicia stopped him. "I know you already think it is. It's not." She said sternly.

Daryl shook his head. "I'm going to get the damn medicine. You lay down."

She nodded. "I'll be alright."