50) Cowboy

"I can't do this."

Alicia's heart broke. Her hands reached to cup his face, locking her eyes with him. "You don't have to." She whispered. "Not right now."

He shook his head, holding onto her arms. "I can't Alicia. He's- he's dead."

"I know." She comforted him. "You don't have to do anything. You're ok."

He sniffed, trying to stop his tears. "Please." He cried. "Don't go."

She kissed his forehead, pulling him into her chest. "I'm not going anywhere."

He nodded. "Can you just wait at the motorcycle?"

She nodded. "I'll wait as long as you need me to."

"You won't go anywhere?" He asked. Alicia could have melted with how vulnerable he was being with her.

She shook her head, kissing his hand that was laced in hers. "I'm not leaving you."
—————

Alicia leaned against the bike, watching as Daryl slowly walked towards her. He seemed slightly more composed.

"I'm sorry." He grunted, pulling her into a hug.

She sighed. "There's nothing to be sorry about. You're allowed to be upset."

He looked down at her. "My dad would beat me if I ever cried over anything." He looked away from her shamefully. "I didn't wanna cry in front of you."

"Hey." She grabbed his face, forcing him to look at her. "Don't ever do that. There is nothing you could do to make me love you less. Crying certainly won't." She sighed, kissing him gently. "I love you Daryl."

He looked at her, nodding slightly. "I love you too."

She smiled softly. "You don't have to do this by yourself. You know that right?"

He nodded again. "I know." Daryl looked away for a moment. Alicia could see he was trying to find the right words. "How did you handle it? You lost your mom, Dale, your best friend, you had a miscarriage... how are you still here?"

She shrugged. "Your life was no harder than mine." She sighed. "I'm here because I hadn't found you yet." She wiped a few stray tears from his face. "You're here right now because you haven't seen this baby, and I'm sure there's a lot of other reason to."

He brought her into another hug, memorizing the way her body felt against his.

Neither Daryl nor Alicia knew it, but this would be the last time they were this close for a long time. Maybe not the very last time... but a long time.

—————
Alicia and Daryl arrived back at the prison, stopping the bike in front of the cell block entry. Alicia noticed Daryl's hardened face. He had put his mask back up, hiding any emotions.

Rick came outside, Michonne with him. "She came back." He said, he looked behind the two. "Where's Merle?"

"Bastards dead." Daryl grunted. He walked past Rick, going straight into the prison.

Alicia sighed. "Sorry."

Rick shook his head. "S'ok." He assured her. "We're gonna figure something out."

She nodded. "I'm gonna make sure he's ok."

Rick smiled to her, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Call me if you need me."

She smile back. "Thanks."

She walked into the prison, heading straight for their shared cell. "Don't do that." She said gently.

"Do what?" Daryl grunted.

She sat down on the bed. "Pretend like everything is fine. Twenty minutes ago you were definitely not fine."

He shook his head. "I gotta handle it myself. That's the only way I will be ok."

She nodded. "You'll tell me if you're not ok, right?"

He gave her a weak smile. "Promise."

She leaned over, kissing him. His hands roamed down her body, hooking her belt loops. "Settle down there cowboy." She grinned.

He rolled his eyes, thinking back to that day at the CDC. "Bite me."

"Yeah I bet you wish I would."