Chapter 27

New year's gift. Three chapters. Happy new year to all in advance. See you next year. I love you all.

What the fuck didn't I just make it clear to him that I didn't want to see his face ever?

Everyone was excited around me, even Evelyn and Aria. Both of them know how big of a deal it was that he agreed to be part of this fashion week. Competition is growing every day, and big brands are coming up with more successful strategies to make themselves known in the world. This opportunity is our stepping stone. I just mustered a smile on my face, ignoring the pan in my heart and ankle. I was happy for them. 

"I had no hopes, but you did it. I know how hard it must have been for you to convince him to believe in us," Evelyn said while hugging me tightly. I forced a smile at her when she broke the hug. Only if she knew what had happened at his office. 

"I'm so happy that you didn't let your past get in the way of this deal and decided to be a big person for the sake of our company. I'm so proud of you," Aria said while hugging me from the side. I started to feel guilty because I had broken the collaboration with him after what he did today. I will never forgive him for that, but I would have never forgiven myself if I had still decided to cancel all this. I can't be the reason behind their sad smiles. I smiled at her faintly, and then my face twisted in pain when I put pressure on my ankle unknowingly. That's when they noticed it. 

"What happened to your ankle?" Aria asked, looking at my wrapped, swollen ankle. Evelyn looked at me with a scowl on her face. 

"It's a long story," I said with a sheepish smile on my face. They helped me into my office. They asked me again how I hurt myself, so I made up the story, saying I slipped in the bathroom. I didn't want to discuss details with them. I know I will end up telling them everything, and if I do, they will ask me to back down. I don't want that to happen now after seeing their happy faces. Once they left, I slumped down in my chair. I don't know what his motive was for accepting the collaboration after all that drama. Did he take pity on me? I brushed that thought away as soon as it came. Erick Villain is not the kind of person who takes pity on others while doing business. What is going on in his evil head? I had clearly told him I didn't want to see his face. Then why is he doing this? Maybe to get on my nerves. Yeah, it's the only conclusion I could come to after spending half an hour thinking instead of doing my work. I pushed away all my bothersome thoughts. I exhaled and decided to immerse myself in the work. 

The day went by with me being busy with my team deciding the models according to designs. We had lots of new models and some of our old models who had walked for us before. I always prefer to give breaks to struggling models. They have fewer tantrums and more dedication to their work. I did my best to concentrate on my work, but that image of that woman sitting on his lap kept popping into my head now and then. It made me uneasy and hard to breathe. I don't know why I was behaving like that. Why was that image of him being with someone else bothering me so much? It's not that we are together or anything. Even though our marriage is not fixed, I still felt that sting in my heart. I refused to marry him. He is a free man, and he can sleep with anyone he wants. I don't give a fuck, but still, I was feeling stupid to feel that burning in my heart. That image spiked something inside me. I just hate to feel these unwanted fillings. I should stop this. Our chapter is long closed, and it will remain closed until the end. He is free to do anything he wants, and so are you. My inner voice screamed. 

"I think we should hold the screening tomorrow of selected models before finalising them. What do you say, Grace?" Aria said while looking at me, pulling me out of my troubling thoughts. She was done giving her small presentation. I found all eyes on me, waiting for my answer. I had only heard bits of her presentation. I cleared my throat before opening my mouth. 

"Should we call the models tomorrow for the screening before finishing them?" Aria repeated herself, looking at my clueless face. I smiled sheepishly at her. She saved me. 

"Yeah, we should do that before finalising them. Those events are big, and we need to choose carefully," I said in a firm tone, and just like that, the rest of the meeting continued. I was so tired when I reached home. I slept as soon as my body touched the bed. The next day, when I checked, my ankle swelling had decreased, but it still hurt like hell. I decided to ice it before wrapping the bangade again. Today was a long day, so I decided to wear flats. Yesterday, I asked one of my interns to bring my car back to the office. Even today, I decided to take a taxi because I still can't drive. It took me half an hour to reach my office. 

"Has everything been set up?" I asked once I settled down in my office. 

"Yes, ma'am, everything is set up. Nine thirty is reporting time for models. They have already started to arrive," Alice informed me. I gave her a nod while checking my emails. 

"Call me once you start the screening, and please ask someone to send me coffee," I said while still looking at the screen. My fingers were typing, replying to a few emails. She nodded and walked out of my office. One of my internet connections came with coffee and muffins. Evelyn must have sent it. My stomach growled immediately when the sweet aroma reached my nose. It took only five minutes for me to finish the muffins. I was sipping my steaming coffee when Alice informed me that they were starting screening. I walked out of my office with my coffee mug. 

"How is your leg?" Evlyn asked me once, as I stood beside her, to examine the arrangement. 

"It's better now," I said as I sipped my coffee. All the models lined up, and Aria started to instruct them. I took my seat beside Evlyn, and Aria sat on the other. Soon screening started, and we started to finish the models' walks and body postures. Aria was an expert in that area, so we agreed with her. She has the eyes to grab the talent. Every model she chose for our fashion week ended up doing a big gig with a big brand, so she is kind of popular among the models. 

"So guys, we will finalise the final names after the lunch break. You guys go to the left hall, and lunch is arranged for you all," Alice announced to all the models, and they were delighted to hear that there was a free lunch. Everyone started to go one by one. 

"I'm so tired, and there's still half a day to go," Evylen said while stretching her back. Everyone has been working hard for fashion week. We all end up working more and taking less rest. 

"I'm so hungry. Let's eat lunch. I need energy to keep shouting for the rest of the day," Aria said while getting up and stretching. 

"I will join you guys once I'm done checking on the models and the arrangements," I said and got up. They nodded and walked away. I went to the hall where lunch was arranged. Interns are handing the packets to the models with a bottle of water. A few tables were arranged for them to sit at. 

"Everything good, guys?" I asked them, and they responded well, making me smile. 

"Alice, order more packets if it's not sufficient," I told her while looking at the cue. 

"I think it will be sufficient," Alice said, and I gave her a firm nod of understanding. I decided to walk back to have lunch, but a conversation between two rooks stopped me. I think they are the newbies. 

"You know Erick Adams is going to walk for them this season. It will be huge if we get selected," I heard her saying and then continued eating her pasta. 

"Fuck, why didn't you tell me before?" I thought she was another fan. Who was excited to work with him. But what made me stop in my tracks was the other girl's next reaction.

"I need to get out of here."

Guys if you want to keep reading this book for free follow me here and on Instagram.
_______________________________________
A/N
Hey guys update for you all.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.
Read up to chapter 87 exclusive on patreon.
The Nuptials of Convenience up to chapter 43.
Vote, comment and share.