Chapter 61

He will not let me live, nor will he let me die in peace.

The night went by with me crying in his arms. He didn't let go of me for even a second. I don't know when I fell asleep in his arms with my tears still tuning down in my eyes. The next day, when I woke up, I found myself in bed alone. The side beside me was still warm. I looked all over the room to find him, but he was nowhere to be found. I got down from the bed and went out of my room, and he was not in the hall or kitchen. My eyes fell on the plate on the kitchen counter. Eggs and toast with a note Eat it! I read those words in my mind in his commanding voice. He sounded like that even in my head. I rolled my eyes and exhaled. I didn't want to eat it, but my stomach grumbled. I dragged the stool in front of it and ate the eggs and toast. As soon as I took the first bite, the memory that I had buried deep in my heart came rushing to my eyes. 

A small bit of it made so many memories surface in my mind. I was not able to eat more than one bite. I took a deep breath, pushing those unwanted memories back to the trunk I had buried deep down somewhere in my heart. I don't want them to make me weak again. I took the plate and threw it in the dustbin. I decided not to dwell on these thoughts more before they took me down memory lane. I washed my hands and went back to my room and straight to the bathroom. I took a quick shower. I need to be at work in half an hour. I decided to wear a simple halter-neck grey top with a matching set of grey pants. I wore the diamond studs and a small single-diamond chain. It looked so delicate on my neck. I exhaled, looking at myself in the mirror. A big problem was waiting for me at the office. Aria and Evilyn were mad at me that day. I had not even gotten a chance to contact them in the past two days. I still remember the look of betrayal on their faces. They were not happy to hear about my engagement from Erick's mouth. That disappointed look on their faces had hurt me more than anything. Today I have to face them and tell them the truth. I was scared to face them. 

"I can do it. They are my friends; they will understand what I'm going to throw," I repeated in my head, but I still couldn't help being scared to face them. I grabbed my car keys and left. I drive my car to work. All my colleagues and co-workers smiled at me when I walked in. I smiled back at them. I saw Aria talking on a cell phone. I smiled at her when we made eye contact, but she looked away, ignoring me. My smile faded. 

"Alice, get me the budget sheet for the last bill clearance," Evylen said. I turned my head to look at her. She was standing in front of her half-opened office door. As soon as we had eye contact, I smiled at her too, but she rolled her eyes and closed her office door. They were both beyond mad at me. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I took a deep breath to control them and not let them fall in front of all the people. I pulled a forced smile from my quaking lips and walked inside my office. I felt my tears roll down my cheeks once I was in the comfort of my office. I took a deep breath to control them, but a sob left my eyes. I wrapped my palm over my mouth to stop making any sound. I tried my best, but tears kept rolling down my eyes. There was a knock on my door, which made me walk to my desk. I wiped my face with my hands and walked to my seat. 

"Yes," I said in my small voice, asking that person to come in. My back was facing the door as I pretended to take some files from the shelf in my office. 

"Evelyn has asked for the budget sheets," she said as I was still busy pretending to find them. 

"I'm searching for it. I will take it to her once I find it," I managed to say without breaking into sobs. She mumbled a small ok before walking out of the room. Once I heard the click of the door, I turned around and whipped the freshly fallen tears. I need to talk to them. I can't sit and keep crying. I grabbed the file from my lower drawer and went to her office. 

"Alice kept the--'' she stopped when she saw it was me standing in front of her, not Alice. She didn't spare me one more glance and went back to what she was doing. 

"Evelyn," I said in my small, shaky voice. 

"Keep the file here and leave my office," she said curtly, her eyes glued to the screen of her laptop. It sliced my heart in two. She never talked to me like that. 

"Evelyn, please listen to me. Let me explain," I urged with tears in my eyes. 

"I don't want to listen to anything. I don't want any explanation. Everything is pretty clear. Just get out of here," she said more sternly while averting her eyes from the screen to look at me. Aria walked in with her tablet, but when she saw me, she was still. She was about to turn back to go when I stopped her. 

"Please, you both listen to me. If you two will not understand me, who will? '' I said this time more loudly and broke into sobs. 

"I have nothing left in my hands, and if both of you turn your back on me, where will I go?" I said, and panic started to surge in me. That anxiety once again started to grip me with its tight claws. 

"Where will I go?" I sobbed in my defeated voice and then covered my face. I have no energy left in me now. Evelyn got up from her seat and hugged me. I sobbed even more loudly when I felt Aria hugging me too. 

"Stop crying. We are with you," Aria said while moving her hand on my back and making soothing circles to calm me down. They kept hugging me until I calmed down. Evelyn pulled the chair and made me sit on it. Aria gave me a glass of water. I drank it and took a deep breath to calm myself down. 

"We are here," Evelyn said, and she rubbed her palm over my arm to calm me down. I nodded my head. 

"Now tell us what is happening," she asked me once I had calmed down. I told them everything. I told them how he and my father manipulated me. What happened at the dinner at his house? How he had trapped me and how my apartment was no longer mine. 

"That bastard. I just want to kill him with my bare hands," Evelyn said with a tight jaw and a murderous look in her eyes. "He is such a vile person. I never imagined he would turn out to be like this," Aria said grimly while crossing her arms around her chest. 

"You don't worry. We are with you. In good or in bad, we will stand with you." Aria patted my back as if assuring me. I nodded my head, yes. I ripped my face with the tissue Evylen gave me. 

"I know," I said with a fragile smile on my lips. I sniffed, and then below in the tissue. There was a knock, and the door opened before Evlyn could, as the person came in. Alice opened the door. Her face was a little flush, as if she had seen a ghost. 

"Mr. Villain is here, and he is asking for you," she said, a little breathless. It looks like she had run here to tell us. Now I understand the flush on her face. My face grimaces in dislike. 

"What does he want now?"

Guys if you want to keep reading this book for free follow me here and on Instagram.
_______________________________________
A/N
Hey guys update for you all.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.
Read up to chapter 115 exclusive on patreon.
The Nuptials of Convenience up to chapter 73.
Vote, comment, and share.