Chapter 43

"Be ready to scream pretty."

Saying that he walked onto the stage. I heard loud cheese, and people were excited to see him on stage, but the sound faded in the background until my brain blocked it. A big lump formed on the base of my throat. I would be lying if I said those words didn't make my heart beat in fear. I know how much of a possessive arrogant ass he can be if he wants. I had enough of such encounters in the past. Once again, my body shivered in the hot backstage air, remembering the old days. Sweat beads started to form on my forehead at the mere remembrance of old times. 

"Grace-Grace," I heard someone calling my name. I blinked my eyes to force a person standing in front of me. It was Aria, and she was trying her best to get my attention. 

"Yeah," I said, looking a little clueless. For a few minutes, I forgot where I was standing. 

"It's your turn now. Be prepared," she said, looking at me, and I nodded my head, finally getting in my head where I'm standing. Focus Grace! My inner voice screamed. 

"Why are you sweating? Make-up final touch-up," she yelled. Go makeup man, and he came running the very next second. He did the touch-up relay quickly. People are used to working at a fast pace backstage. Everything happens in just a few seconds. 

"Let's get ready to meet the mastermind behind these breathtaking designs. She is an emerging designer making her name in the big industry with a bang," the host said, and my models cheered for me. 

"Let's welcome her with a loud round of applause. Everybody, Grace,'' he announced in his excited voice. I only go by the name. I don't use my surname. I never felt like using it anywhere. I took a deep breath and walked on stage into the spotlight. I clapped my hands to show my gratitude to all my models who had lined up on the ramp to welcome me. They all deserve it. I walked to the front, where both Noha and Erick were standing. I liked all the guests and then the cameras. There were so many flashes that it made me almost go blind. I felt a callus palm on the small of my back, and it made me go stiff. Touch was so familiar for me not to recognise it. I kept holding my slime. I know how reports are; they will purposely post your weird photos to get the attention of people. I was on the stage for only five minutes, but it seemed like five hours. I don't know how these models walk on the ramps and be under the monitoring eyes of thousands of people. One twitch on your face, and there will be thousands of whispers and articles about you in the very next moment. I took a deep breath of relief once I was backstage. Everyone cheered for each other. It was fabulous. It went better than I had imagined. 

"Show was a super hit!" I screamed when I was all backstage, out of people's hearing range. Aria and Evylen screamed with excitement. We did a group hug with our team. We all work so hard for this. 

"Guys, this is all because of It would not have been possible without you. Thank you. Thank you for your support, and thank you for believing in us," I said, looking a little emotionally at my friend. They returned my smile while trying to hide their tears. We all worked hard for it. Everyone clapped, making me smile. He stood in the corner, looking at us. I hugged everyone, thanking them for their hard work. I hugged Noah too in excitement. I was too excited to care about anything else. 

"Thank you for doing this for me at the last moment," I said with a grateful smile on my face. 

"Anything for you, my darling," he said, cheesily making me laugh. 

"You were shining so bright. Never let you spark dim," he said with a huge smile on his face, and then kissed my forehead, making me smile at him. I thanked him again. Noah was leaving for Italy tonight itself so he left immediately after our pleasantries. I kept ignoring the burning gazes on me. I hugged a few more people before it was his turn. Everyone is busy with their celebration, but I knew they had their eyes on me. After all, he was the one who made the show special with his appearance. As soon as my eyes met with his, a big lump again started to rise up in my throat. His cold blue eyes were fixed on me. His jaw was set, and I have not forgotten his threat. I swallowed hard and good in front of him. 

"Thank you for being part of this. It really means a lot to me," I said in my plain voice, not letting my fearful emotions burst out when I talk. He kept looking at me, not making any effort to open his mouth to say something in return. He was getting on my nerves and, at the same time, making me hella nervous. 

"Twice." He said only one word. I was confused at first, but my eyes widened when I understood what it meant. He didn't say anything after that because his cold blue eyes depicted the rest of the story. The lump this time rising up my throat was hard to push down, and I felt colour slowly draining from my face. Before his cold blue eyes give me a heart attack, I decide to turn around. I don't know what exactly he was trying to do to me. I walked to my friends. Everyone slowly started to get out of there. Some went to their homes to take much-needed rest, and some to celebrate. Tomorrow we have given off to everyone because of the nonstop hard work they have been doing for two months. 

"I think we should celebrate too," Aria said in full enthusiasm. She was always a party animal. 

"Yes, we are in," Evelyn said, hugging her boyfriend, who was there to support her. 

"I'm." Before I could complete my sentence, I felt a hand on my bare back, and then it very slowly moved to the small of my back and settled there. My breath hitched, and my body went stiff. In the very next second, I was pulled to the hard chest with his masculine arm securing me to him. The smile I had on my face was wiped out completely. Aria and Evlyn were surprised to see his display of affection. 

"I would like to apologise that she won't be able to join you," he said in a firm silk tone, making both my friends look at us with raised brows. At this point, my body went numb, and my heart started to beat fast. 

"I don't think she needs your permission to join us," Evelyn said with glaring eyes, and her boyfriend tried to calm her down by rubbing her arm. 

"She doesn't,'' he said, looking straight into Evelyn's eyes as if challenging her. I don't know why my heart started to beat even faster. Maybe it had sensed the storm that was on its way. 

"But my fiance and I have decided to spend the rest of the night in each other's company," he said with a smirk on his face, and I heard loud gasps coming from both Aria and Eylen. My eyes widened when he revealed that. I didn't expect him to do that. I was waiting for the right time to tell them. I have been mustering my courage to tell them since I signed the contract. I lifted my eyes and looked at him in disbelief. I could feel both of them looking at me in surprise, but more in disappointment. I could see Evelyn fuming in anger. She is my best friend, and I hid these from her. I had no words at the moment to explain to them. I found myself hiding from my friend's accusing gaze. My mind was blank for a moment. Now I know how he is taking his revenge on me. He had ruined the rest of the night for us.

Especially for me.

Guys if you want to keep reading this book for free follow me here and on Instagram.
_______________________________________
A/N
Hey guys update for you all.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.
Read up to chapter 101 exclusive on patreon.
The Nuptials of Convenience up to chapter 57.
Vote, comment and share.