Chapter 58

It's time to be Detective Grace.

"I think you are hugging him too tightly, Isabela," I said, so she could let him go. I could see how Xanthus was throwing daggers in his way. Is he made because Isabela is his sister and he doesn't want his staff to be so near her, or is he made because of Isabela's fondness for Sage? I need to find it out. 

"Sorry," Isabela said with a small apology, but Sage moved his head as if saying not to be sorry. 

"What are you here?" Xanthus asked Sage curtly. It made him gulp in discomfort before opening his mouth to talk. 

"Chef Oliver has asked to come and taste the new batch of wine," he said while looking everywhere but him. He gave him a curt nod. It was an indication for him to leave, but before he could, Isabela engaged him in small talk. Once again, I saw how his jaw clenched when Isabella unknowingly wrapped her arm around his. 

"If you are done with your work, you can go," he said rudely, making the poor man flinch again. 

"Yes, chef," he said timidly, and he was about to walk out. 

"Sage, why don't you join us? We are going to decide the dress Grace will be wearing for her engagement today," she said, making me look at her with furrowed brows. When did we decide that? Then, after a few seconds, I realised it was her way to stop him. She enjoys his company. Sage's face dropped when she heard this. My brows furrowed once again. Her sudden change in expression confused me. 

"No, I have work. Maybe some other time," he said, saying that he left in a hurry. I took a deep breath and nodded my head slightly. He has a problem with me and this engagement thing. I guess both of us are not happy with the engagement thing. I have my reason, but what's here? Detective Grace, you have a lot of work to do before concluding. 

"Guys, I'm hungry," I said when my stomach grumbled. 

"Me too. I have not even had my breakfast yet." Isabela huffed and acted as if she were about to faint. We both chuckled. 

"You both go and get a seat. I will send an appetiser until you decide what you want to eat," he said, and he walked out to go to the kitchen. We both squealed and went to find a table for us. I love food, but I try to eat it in limited portions. I don't want to gain weight and be like I used to be in high school. He sent the appetiser for us, and we gave our order to the waiter. They were tasty mini-crispy bites. Soon, the waiter brought our order. 

"I'm full," I said after three bites. I had not even eaten half of my other pasta. 

"You have barely eaten it," Isabela said, looking at my plate. I was not full, but I didn't feel like eating. The pasta was tasty, and I wanted to have one more bite, but I couldn't. 

"You think he loves a fat girl like you." Those words always echo in my head when I think of eating more and every time my appetite dies. 

"Try eating a little more. You won't become fat," she scolded me, and she does this whenever I don't finish my food. She knows my relationship with food. She exhaled while looking at me with narrowed eyes. 

"What have you thought about it?" she asked while still looking at me with the same narrowed eyes. 

"About what?" I asked while playing with my food. I know what she is talking about, but I pretended as if I didn't know about it. I took the spoon and started to play with my food. 

"You know what I'm talking about, she said, this time with a serious look on her face. I bit my lower lip and looked away. 

"I will think about it," I said once again, like I say every time. I could feel her pensive gaze on me with that disapproving look on her face. 

"You say that every time. You know Grace. You need to talk with someone. Tell that person things you can't tell us. Until then, you are losing the ability to pile up things inside you. One day it will eat you up from the side and make you hollow," she said with concern in her eyes. I bite more on my lower lip as her words sink in. She was right, but I just couldn't muster up the courage to talk with someone. It didn't feel right. It felt like I was giving away my inner part, and I was not ready for it. 

"I'm not ready for it." I said those words loudly this time. I told her the truth this time instead of luring her with my lie. She covered my hand with hers when I said that. I closed my eyes, feeling her comforting touch. 

"I know, but you have to try. Not for me, not for anyone else, but for yourself. I know one day you will be ready, and I will be standing beside you to support you," she said, making me look at her with teary eyes. She stood up from her side and came to mine to hug me. 

"I know," I said when she wrapped her arms around me. She rocked my body to comfort me. 

"Important talks," Xanthus said when he saw us. He was not wearing his chef's clothes. 

"Talks that you can't understand," Isabella teased him, making me chuckle. He sat where Isabel was sitting. 

"Something serious?" he asked, looking at both of us. 

"Nope, by the way, are you going somewhere?" I asked, changing the topic. I don't want him to know what we were talking about. 

"Yes, I'm going to check on my other restaurants. It's my monthly visit time," he said with a small smile on his face. I moved my head in understanding. My eyes fell back, and I saw Sage, and he was not wearing his uniform either. He stumbled on his feet in nervousness. 

"Are you going alone?" I asked with raised eyebrows. Isabela was still sitting beside me with her arms around me. 

"Yes," he said with a smile on his face. 

"I will get going now. I'm getting late, and if you need something, ask Logan," he said while standing up. We hummed in response. He looked at his watch and then looked around. His grey eyes found Sage, who was standing in the corner talking with one of the waiters. I saw how his jaw twitched slightly. He said bye before walking away. I saw him walking out of the restaurant first, and then Sage followed him. 

"I'm going to the restroom. I will be back soon," Issable said, and I gave her a slight nod. I bit on my lower lip, getting lost in my thoughts. 

"Do you need anything else?" It was Logan. He was standing beside my table with a smile on his face. I was about to say no, but something popped into my head. 

"Actually, yes, Logan, did Xanthus go alone for his monthly check?" I asked curiously with a raised brow. 

"No, he took Sage with him this time," he informed me, and the wheels in my head started to turn even more. 

"Thank you. We don't need anything," I said with a tight smile on my face. He smiled at me before walking away. 

Why did he lie? 

Why does everything look so suspicious?

Guys if you want to keep reading this book for free follow me here and on Instagram.
_______________________________________
A/N
Hey guys update for you all.
Let me know your thoughts in the comment section.
Read up to chapter 113 exclusive on patreon.
The Nuptials of Convenience up to chapter 71.
Vote, comment, and share.