Fortune Cookies part 3

Toffee's POV:

I watched the chaos unfold from the roof of a small building, a slight grin of glee on my face. "Mega Mushroom Destruction Blast!", one of the princesses yelled. From up here, I was able to analyze the three children's fighting style. The boy is definitely the weakest link, I thought, with no prior experience in magic or monsters, he is an easy target when alone. I must mind his combat skills though...

My gaze wandered to the twins. The blue eyed, Star, is a lot more active. However, she has a tendency to act on impulse. She won't be a big hindrance. As for her sister... I further observed them as the girls fought off the monsters. "Comet, to your right!", Star yelled. Comet turned to her right and used a precise spell to defend herself from his attack. Comet, huh? My, I wonder why she might have been named after her grandmother... I chuckled a little. Seems like little Moon has grown soft.

I watched Comet using her wand in a more defensive manner. Unlike her sister, she seemed to calculate every spell she used. She seems to possess greater control over her wand than her sister. Nevertheless, her weakness is to hesitate and rely on Star, rather than fighting on her own. It would be interesting to see how she would act if they were to be separated...

"Mega Narwhal Blast!" Star yelled, casting the finishing spell of the fight. Sparkling blue and pink mist engulfed the alleyway. I waved my hand in front of my face discreetly to ward off the dust. When it had settled, one was able to see the destructive nature of the wands. Monsters on the ground, mushroom growing from their bodies from a previous spell, and narwhals lying on top of them. From the corner of my eye, I saw Ludo create the portal back to his castle, and dragging his army to it. I descended from the roof. "Welcome to my life", he grumbled, as I followed him to the portal, careful not to be spotted. I spared one last glanced to the twins, smirked, and disappeared into the portal.

Comet's POV:

I felt a wave of uneasiness flood over me when we had finished the fight with the monsters. I shuddered, and glanced behind me. There was only the portal to Ludo's castle there. For just a second, I thought I had seen a glimpse of blue disappear into the muddy green portal, but just a moment later, the portal had closed.

"Sorry, I should've listened to you. Obviously you know better than a dessert." I turned around again at the sound of Star's voice. "I'm sorry too", I apologized. "No, it's my fault. I shouldn't have messed with you and said those fortunes were magical to begin with", Marco said. He picked up my abandoned bag of paints and handed them to me, "at least they weren't harmed in the battle." "Thank you." I quickly opened the bag and saw that everything was still perfectly in order. No paint container had been broken.

A door opened, and the kind lady of the Chinese restaurant appeared with another box of fortune cookies. "Oh! Weird girl!", she recognized Star, "You want more stale cookies?" "Who could say no to that?", Star replied, happily taking up the kind lady's offer. The lady returned into the building, while Star took out a cookie. "Star", Marco started, sounding slightly exasperated. Star laughed. "What? They're not real fortunes, but they're still real cookies", she said, offering Marco the cookie.

We smiled, and Marco opened the cookie. He ate it and handed me the fortune slip. "A great evil has been unleashed", I read, imitating a god-like voice. "Oooooohhh", Star and Marco acted, before we all started laughing. I put the slip into my bag, planning to dispose of it at home.

<>< That evening in Ludo's castle ><>

Toffee's POV:

"Cheers."

Ludo and I toasted with the rest of the swamp water I had brought. "That was the closest we've ever come, but these girls always get the best of me", Ludo grimly said. "Oh really?", I asked, keeping my expressionless composure. "Yes, your plan was truly ingenious ", Ludo replied enthusiastically.

I hummed, turned my back to him and approached the window in the room. From it, one could gaze upon Butterfly Castle in all its glory in the distance. "Yes, well, you're not the first monster to fall victim to their magic." I gripped the glas in my hand ever so slightly harder, and felt the missing finger there. The finger Moon had stolen from me a long time ago.

"Things will be different when I get the wand!", Ludo said in the background and pretended to fight with the imaginary wand. Yeah right. Cause anyone would be stupid enough to give you the wand. Let alone you obtaining the wand on your own accord... I continued looking towards the Butterfly Castle. A castle that hopefully will soon be buried in its ashes...

<>< Back on Earth ><>

Comet's POV:

I unpacked my bag and put the new paints into my art shelf, organizing them by color. From the other side of the room, Star's quiet snores filled the room. The room was filled with calmness, and only dimly lit by the sunset's glow, as I finished putting the paints away. "Oh", I mumbled, seeing a piece of paper in the bag. I pulled it out, and stored the bag back into my closet.

I turned the paper slip around, reading 'A great evil has been unleashed.' A cold shudder went down my spine. Shivering slightly, I closed my windows. It was getting cooler outside, now that the sun had settled behind the horizon. I didn't give it further thought, and disposed of the fortune slip.

I changed into my nightgown, and put my wand on my bedside table, before getting into bed. My portable mirror screen lit up. 'Goodnight, dear', Mom's message read. 'Goodnight, Mom ♡', I replied. I scrolled through the very few contacts I had. Mom, Dad, Star, Ponyhead, Marco... and now Tom. For a moment, my finger hovered over the 'message' button. It had been a few days since I met him after the ball. Star and Marco hadn't noticed at all, and I hadn't told them, since I hadn't seen a good reason to do so.

A loud snore came from Star. She turned in bed, mumbling something incomprehensible. I smiled softly, and put the portable mirror away. "Goodnight, Star", I whispered into the dark silence, before following her into the realm of dreams.

Word Count: 1083