The Banagic Wand part 1

Third-person POV:

It was the hottest day of the week. In the backyard of the Diaz household, the sprinkler's were pouring water on the tired grass. In their room, Star was lying on the rug, flipping through one of the human magazines Marco's mother had given her that morning. Her sister was sitting in the window sill, engrossed in a human novel.

Star's POV:

"No... No... Nope...", I mumbled as I flipped through the magazine. The headings read things like 'ECHO CREEK MAYOR OPENS NEW SWIMMING POOL', 'TELEVISION PROGRAM' and 'INTERVIEW WITH LOCAL IDOL RUBY STARFIELD'.

"Reading is not... a sure-fire fun way to spice up a dull day", I mumbled, feeling boredom creeping up on me and slowly eating me from the inside out. I turned to lie on my back. "Comeeeeet..."

"Hmm?", Comet merely hummed, not looking up from her book. "Today might be the day I face my biggest fear: Boredom... Maybe today is the day I'll renounce my vow to never have a dull day!", I dramatically announced. 

"That's nice", Comet mumbled, flipping to the next page.

Pouting, I sat up and picked up my wand, staring at its star-shaped gem. "Today, I will look boredom in its eyes, those beady little black eyes, like tiny little black fists. I'll look into those eyes and I will say- Oh wait, never mind, what's this?"

I was promptly back to lying on my stomach, reading the page 'CURRENT SALES!' Underneath the title the picture of a banana formed container was shown. "The Banagic Wand, Earth's coolest magical treat", I read, and gasped excitedly. Magic? Here on Earth? I have to have this!

I jumped up, and proudly held my wand up. "I swear to baby dolphin giggles, I will find the Banagic Wand before this day is done... or die trying. Or my name is not Star Butterfly!", I vowed, "With my sister as my witness, I'll never go bored again! And anything else I need to say to make this official."

I ran up to Comet, and pulled her from her seat. Before she could complain, I took her book from her and flung it on the window sill. "Comet, Comet, Comet, Comet!" I happily jumped up and down, "I know what we're doing today!"

Grabbing her hand, I was ready to drag her to the next place where we could get our Banagic Wands. Wait.

I stopped right as I was about to leave the room. "I don't know where we're going", I said. Comet picked up the magazine from the ground. "The Banagic Wand... As featured on TV."

"But we saw it in this magazine", I said, taking the magazine from her, before the revelation hit me, "Aha! A riddle. But I'm terrible at riddles. Need Marco." I stormed out of the room to get Marco, Comet following behind.

I flung open Marco's door and jumped on his back. "Marco!"

Marco screamed, stumbled, and fell to the ground with me. I opened the magazine and held it up closely to his face. "Earth Magic. Look."

Marco squinted his eyes to read the text, before looking up at me. "That thing from TV?" I gasped. Marco had already found the next clue? He was a genius!

"You've seen it?", I asked happily. Marco shoved me from him to get up. "Yeah, it's one of those late night commercials", he explained. "So it does exist", I whispered, "To the TV!"

"I can't. I've gotta get to my karate class", Marco objected. "And I need to finish my novel so I can bring the books back to the library today", Comet added. "That can wait!", I said, and pulled them down to the TV anyways.

Marco sighed, and started the TV for me. The channel had a movie playing. "Your kidney came from a werewolf", the doctor was saying. Impatiently I pointed my wand at the TV screen. "Glitter Grenade Rewind!" A puff of glitter encased the TV, and it reminded to yesterday evening's program.

It showed two boys on a blue background, sweat dripping from their faces. "It's so hot", the first complained. "And I'm so bored", the second added.

"Oh no, what are they going to do?", I wondered.

The scene cut away to the picture of a Banagic Wand. "The Banagic Wand!", the narrator announced, "It's a little bit of banana and a little lot of magic. Designed by leading freeze-ologists, the Banagic Wand uses state-of-the-art molecular ice-stronomy to frostklare you sizzle zones and CHILL YOU OUT!!!"

"They're just using big words to make it sound smarter", Marco grumbled.

The scene had cut back to the boys. "Mmm", the first said, happily eating his ice cream. "I'm totally chilled out", the second added, "And there's enough Banagic fun for all my friends to enjoy."

More children appeared on screen, each with their own bowl of Banagic ice cream, cheering happily.

"Friendship magic", I whispered happily.

"Available now at better stores near you", the announcer said, "Supplies are limited! Get yours now!"

"Better Stores? Supplies are limited?" I gasped. "Let's do, let's go, let's go, let's go!", I urged the other two. I ran to the front door, pushing them out. I put the helmet on Marco's head and climbed onto the back of his bike. "To a better store near us!"

"Did you hear anything Comet and I just said", Marco asked, "Star, I can't go now, and neither can Comet. And I'm not sure you have a firm enough grasp on Earth culture."

Behind him, I saw that guy again who would come every nw and then to try get into the Diaz's yard box. I glared at him, jumping from the bike and onto the fence and yelled at him, "Hey, get out of our yard box, you scroundrel! Hide your dragon eggs somewhere else."

The man looked at me with big eyes, and hastily ran away. Suits him right!

Victoriously, I walked back to the bike, waiting for Marco to start moving. When he didn't, I impatiently explained, "Marco, we're not moving. You push these little thingies with your feet. Honestly, Marco, sometimes I wonder if you have a firm grasp on this Earth stuff."

"Okay, okay, Star, I get it!" Marco sighed. "Well, I can only take one of you with me, so I guess Comet can stay home."

"What? Aw, boo", I pouted. I looked at Comet apologetically, before I saluted and said, "Very well then. Farewell, dearest sister. You may not be by my side during the search for the wondrous Banagic Wand, but you shall forever be in my heart."

"...Sure, whatever you say", Comet hesitantly replied. I waved goodbye as Marco finally pedaled away with me, in search of the Banagic Wand

<><><>

"Karate class?", I asked, when we suddenly stopped by the karate class building. "Marco, we don't have time for detours. The commercial said we have to hurry while supplies last. Focus on the quest."

"This is where I'm going. Karate. I am not going with you", Marco firmly said.

I sighed. Another member of our brave crew fallen, taking by the treatorous grasps of responsibility and duty.

"Dear, sweet Marco. I commend you for making it this far on the journey, and vow to complete the quest in his honor. Goodbye, sweet Marco."

Word Count: 1192