Mewnipendence Day part 1

A/N: Picture belongs to me: This is what Comet looks like in her Mewnipendence Day Celebration outfit.

Comet's POV:

The mild autumn sun shone upon the garden behind Marco's family house as Star and I prepared everything for the Mewnipendence Day Festival. "Comet! We still need more banners over here!", Star yelled, and I handed her the end of the last blue and white banner to put it on the facade of the house.

"Perfect! It looks just like at home!", she cheered, jumping down from the cloud she had conjured to reach the higher parts. "Umm, guys? What are you doin'?", Marco asked when he came outside to see all the decoration. "We're preparing for the festival!", Star replied, pushing an invitation into his hand. "You're invited to, of course." She ran inside to get more decoration.

"Mewnipendence Day?", Marco read from the card. I nodded. "Yep. That's today. It's a national holiday back on Mewni." "I found the fireworks!", Star yelled, leaning over our balcony to look down to us, "Catch!" She threw the firework rockets down, for Marco and me to catch.

"How many people exactly did you invite?", Marco asked, his eyes directed at the grand buffet table. "Hmm... Not exactly sure. Star was the one to give out the invitations", I replied, "But don't worry. We'll be outside most of the time, so it won't be a complete mess."

<><><>

"Okay, I think everyone's here, let's start!", Star said and stood up onto the couch we were sitting on. The guests sat on the floor in front of us, chatting to one another.

Star drew her sword and tried to get everyone's attention, "Okay, quiet everyone, QUIET! Quiet." The guests looked at us: Marco's karate coach, Miss Skullnick, StarFan13, Alfonzo, Ferguson, Janna, and two boys Star had convinced to come, whose name's I didn't know. When they had quieted down, Star seemed content. "Alright, I assume you all brought your swords..."

"Uh... What?", Marco asked, apparently never having heard of any kind of sword necessity. "It's said on the invitation", Star explained, "You're supposed to bring a sword." Alfonzo held up the card. "I was a little confused by your invitation..." The card was ripped out of his hand by Miss Skullnick, who objected, "I am not confused, this is clearly a drawing of meat, and I came for the meat!" She pointed at the drawing of a chicken leg in the corner of the invitation. Star's eye twitched in irritation. This day was very important to the both of us.

Marco seemed to notice her growing annoyance. "I think everyone is just wondering why they're here", he remarked. "Ahem, it's the 37th of Gravnogk? Mewnipendence Day?", Star said, but everyone seemed to be even more confused now.

"... I don't think they know what you're talking about, Star", I told her. Star sighed. "Guess we'll have to go back to kindergarten level then", she grumbled, and walked out of the room. "Uhh... is she coming back?", StarFan13 asked.

Star returned, with the story book from our childhood days. Back then, this was a story Mom would constantly read to us, to the point we were both able to recount it by heart. Star opened the first page of the book with the familiar paper image of Mewni, with a lone boat in the waters. "A long time ago, arrived the first settlers of Mewni", Star started to retell the story, moving the small paper boat. "Modest people with noble pursuits: Life, Liberty and Corn." She unfolded the paper hill of Mewni, revealing the first settler's houses and corn fields. "But the wicked monsters rose up and attacked the innocent Mewmans to re-steal Mewni for themselves." I pulled the small paper slip on my side of the story book to unfold the monstrous shadows lurking in the forests of Mewni.

"For years, Mewmans tried to live their lives as pacifists, only caring for their community and corn", I continued, and Star turned the page to show a Mewman family happily working on their cornfield. "However, the monsters were not content with what they had: their greed overtook them and they attacked the poor Mewmans, taking their families, breaking their homes, and burning their corn." With a pull of the paper slip, the cornfield was burned at the family was weeping over their deceased members. "Distraught, the Mewmans asked their Queen for help."

"When the generous Queen heard of their hardship, she used her magic to turn the simple peasants into a fearsome army!", Star cheered, flipping to the next page, that showed the Queen gifting her people the ability to fight for their homeland. "And then there was fighting..., fighting, fighting, fighting, fighting, fighting." Star flipped quickly through the picture book to the last page, which showed Mewni as we knew it today: the castle standing proudly in the center of the island of Mewni, with the Mewmans safe from the monsters. "And the Mewmans won!", Star announced, unfolding the paper fireworks. "And in celebration of our victory, every year on the 37th of Gravnogk, we celebrate the Mewnipendence Day", I sum up.

"But wait, you just blew past all the important stuff", Marco complained. "When do we eat?", Miss Skullnick asked. "We feast after we reenact 'THE GREAT MONSTER MASSACRE'", Star answered, closing the book, "Now, please split into two teams: Monsters, and Mewmans." "Can I be a Mewman?", Miss Skullnick asked. "You are already a Monster: That's why you were invited", Star interrupted her. Grumbling under her breath, Miss Skullnick moved to the monster side.

"Marco! You get to be our General", Star said, pulling Marco to us. "Thanks", Marco replied. "Alright, let's see! Janna, StarFan13, Francis and Sensei Brantley in the Mewman team; Alfonzo, Ed, Miss Skullnick and Ferguson on the Monster's side. Lookin' pretty good. Now we can begin making costumes and after that: 'THE BLOODY BATTLE CAN COMMENCE!'", Star exclaimed, pumped with excitement. Marco raised his hand. "YES MARCO?", Star asked, already pointing her wand at the others, ready to put them into the costumes for the reenactment. "What's that?", Marco asked, pointing at the floating eye next to Star.

"Oh, that's the All-seeing Eye: It follows you around all day", Star explained. "It's staring at me...", Marco said, very obviously feeling uneasy. "Don't worry, we've got those everywhere on Mewni", I said. "Right, it's just to remind the monsters that the Royal Family is always watching", Star continued to explain, "It's not actually watching you though. That would be weird."

She turned to the rest again. "Alright, let's all get ready and meet in the garden in ten! Come on, Comet" She took my hand, and we ran upstairs to get ready, the Eye floating behind us.

<><><>

"Why do you have so much hair?", Star asked, as she tried to neatly put my hair into a bun, while arranging the braids in a way to make them seem perfectly symmetrical. "You have just as much hair as I do, Star", I replied. "It looks fine, Star, I think you can leave it like that." Star sighed, and finally let my hair be. We looked into the mirror. "We didn't even dress up that much for the wand ceremony", I remarked, moving from side to side, neatening the many layers of fabric of my dress. "Well, this dress and all the hair is so heavy. I don't think the warnicorn would've managed to hold the two of us like this.", Star said, pushing her hair bun around.

"Star? Comet? We're almost ready over here!", Marco's voice called out. "Alright, we'll be right there!", Star called back.

Word Count: 1265