Chapter- 11 When I Grow Up...

•Rose's Pov•

"Remember this?" I hold up an old picture of my sister and I when we were little and still shared baths.

"Yeah, you kept trying to eat the bubbles." My sister says as she bumps hips with me.

I look at my sisters nearly packed boxes and hug her from behind.

"Don't go."

"Rose, I'm only ten minutes away by car...and by flight I'm sure you can be there in half the time."

"I know, but who's going to have my back when dad tries to keep me in the house?"

"I'm a phone call away. Besides we both knew I wouldn't live here forever."

I pout and my sister hands me the picture of us.

"Keep it."

"Thanks. Well, let's finish packing."

"Um, Rose?"

"Hm?"

I turn and notice that all of my sisters things were being folded and placed in boxes.

"Well that's a quicker way to pack."

I hear our dad coming and the stuff drops.

He looks at both of us and then looks at the stuff.

"You two sure got a lot of stuff packed up."

"Yeah, dad. You can say that." Iris says as she tries to keep the smile off of her face.

"Rose can I see you in the kitchen for a moment?"

"Aw gee, dad can't you see that me and Iris are doing some big sister little sister bonding?"

"Kitchen now." My dad walks towards the kitchen and I look at Iris and mouth help me.

She mouths back sorry and I follow my dad to meet my doom.

"What's up?" I ask as I drum my fingers across the kitchen counter.

He places his hand on mine and looks me in the eye.

"We need to talk."

Here we go, those four little words that strike terror into everyone's heart.

And I know exactly what he wants to talk about.

"Rose, you-"

"Don't you want something to drink? I want something to drink. Do we have water? Wait of course we have water I mean we have a faucet."

"This is serious Rose, now sit back down." I park it and look at the my chipped painted nails.

"I've have been busy with cases and even more busy helping your sister with this big move. But one thing for sure is my mind hasn't been too busy to think about what I saw on Christmas."

I just let him keep talking since its easier that way.

"...You're the avenging angel."

There he said it.

I look up and my dad was looking at me with that dad look.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Like what Rose?"

"Like you're judging me."

"I'm not judging you but I do want you to stop."

"No, well I'm glad we've talked. Can I go help Iris now?"

"Rose, what you're doing is dangerous." I raise my hand and stop him right there.

"Dad, the job I'm doing is the same as yours only with more feathers."