Chapter 120

"YOU DID WHAT!!!" Heracles was fuming, unable to believe his ears. August had just woken up less than a week ago, and he already had trouble right on his doorstep. "Didn't I tell you to be smart abou-"

"I was being smart about it, old man. If I was being stupid, I would have killed him on the spot." August cut Heracles off, his voice carrying a calm confidence, believing that what he did was right. "I know what I was doing."

"No, you don't." Heracles massaged the bridges of his nose as he took a deep breath. He looked at August with a serious face that made the young adventurer straighten his back. "You don't threaten a god, especially one that holds a grudge."

The god sighed as he sat in his chair at his office. "Apollo is an asshole, but he is still a god, and gods are wrathful creatures." He took a bottle of ale and two sets of glasses, sliding one on the table, which August caught. He then poured the two of them a drink. "That being said, the weasel will no doubt be coming for blood, and I can assure you it wouldn't be pretty."

August chuckled, drinking the ale. The sweet liquid of fruits and alcohol swirled inside his mouth. "Geez, you actually sound worried. His familia is weak; hell, even the others could take his familia as a whol-"

"See what I mean when I said you were being stupid." Heracles gulped his drink as he cut August off. He slammed the mug on the table, generating a thud that echoed inside the silent room. "The thing about gods, especially those who are arrogant and narcissistic like Apollo, is that they'll stoop so low just to get their revenge, especially if you wounded their pride."

He stared at August's eyes and rested his head on his hand. With a lazy tone, he continued. "And you, August... just wounded and broke his ego, making him unpredictable and unstable. Right now, even I can't predict what that asshole might do."

August looked confused. In his mind, no matter what Apollo does, he'll never beat the might of Heracles' familia, especially now that he's awake. So he wondered why his god actually sounded worried.

"You don't get it, do you?" Heracles shrugged and poured himself another glass. "He has more resources than us, more connections, more things to throw at us to exhaust our capabilities as a familia... In short... He's richer."

"So what? It doesn't change the fact that he's weak, and so is his familia."

"That may be true, but with his resources and connections, he could just hire swords to bolster his strength. Maybe even a couple of high-level adventurers from gods here in Orario." He sighed again. "It was stupid on your part because you destroyed your element of surprise with just a mere threat when you could have gone for the finishing blow. You could have waited, not giving him a chance to prepare, and yet you squandered a golden opportunity to finish that fight right before it started."

"That action not only put us at a disadvantage, but it also put everyone in this familia at a much higher risk than needed." He eyed him up, looking at August with a hint of disappointment, making the adventurer clench his fist. "Remember that even a rat, if cornered, would inevitably bite back."

"...." August was silent. He did not think deep enough and just rushed in as a first instinct. With the benefit of hindsight, he now realized it was stupid on his part as well. But still, he was adamant that what he did was right. "Old man... He was hurting Froke. I can't just sit idly by and wait in that situation." August couldn't stop a flicker of bloodlust as he spoke those words, his eyes looked straight at Heracles, screaming that if he was given another chance, he would do it again.

"...." It was Heracles' turn to be quiet this time. To be honest, he didn't have a comeback for that. Heracles, the man turned god, knew just how oppressive gods were to mortals, and the tone of August's voice was filled with venom and anger that made him remember just how vile gods could become to mortals, especially Apollo.