Chapter 46

Isabella's pov

"Do you know how concerned we were, how worried you guys had us?" My dad finally breaks the silence, Elio and I are sat on the couch with my dad, Elio's dad Nicolos sat opposite us on two chairs, Alessandro leaning against the wall glaring at Elio, Elio's oldest brother Leonardo, the one whose car we destroyed leaning against the door frame with a look on his face that could kill, and Uncle Matteo sitting beside my dad. They have set up to interrogate us.

"So what happened?" Nicolo questions, rubbing his forehead trying to ease the growing migraine we all share.

"We took a wrong turn?" Elio states more as a question. At this, Leonardo and Alessandro snicker as the rest still seem confused by the whole situation.

"What, and you accidentally drove into a lake?" Leo challenged, pushing himself off the doorframe he was once leaning on. Slowly, he stalked towards us as if we were the prey he was about to kill. Oh, we are so dead; it's not even funny.

"YOU DROVE INTO A LAKE?" My dad exclaimed, surprised by the news that no one informed him about. Oh, we are definitely in deeper shit than we thought.

"Actually, we didn't drive it into a lake! It just ended up in one... magic!" I corrected them, but quickly my confidence disappeared as everyone directed their glares towards me. What did I do to them? I know I blew up Leo's car, but I didn't do anything to the rest of them, so they can just leave and mind their own business!

"Don't you dare start getting sassy with us, Isabella," my dad interrupts, getting angrier by the minute. What is his problem? This only made me even more annoyed with the whole situation.

"I didn't even do anything to you or the rest of you, so can't you all just leave and let Elio, Leonardo, and I sort this out!" I state, getting even more defensive by the second. I can feel myself building a wall, trying to protect myself.

"Isabella, don't you dare speak to your father like that!" Matteo steps in, trying to de-escalate the situation. But by doing this, I only get more frustrated. Why can't they just leave us be?

"I don't care if he's my dad. I've only known he's been alive for what, two or three weeks?" I protest, raising my voice a little more than I should have. They are all getting on my nerves.

"Isabella Accardi!" My dad hissed furiously.

"What are you going to do about it? Take my life away? Too fucking late." I stand up quickly; I need to get out of here before I say anything else I might regret.

"Don't you dare try to get out of this with that card!" My dad argued back, standing up as well. Oh, now you have really pissed me off. How dare you say that to me!

"Watch me." At this point, I'm standing in front of him seething with bottled-up rage, and he's just glaring right back at me. I'm about to make your life a living hell!

"ISABELLA ANGELITA ACCARDI." Alessandro roared, his piercing glare directed straight at me, daring me to say another word. I've never seen him this mad before; it's like he loathes me. Taking quick long strides, he is next to me in a flash, pulling me back by the arm. I fall back into my seat. Oh, I've fucked up.

"You do not speak to anyone like that, ever! Do you fucking understand me?" Alessandro challenged, still holding onto me by my arm with a tight grip.

"You're hurting me," I hissed at him, with tears brimming my eyes.

"I said, do you understand Isabella?" He fumed; with each word, his grip tightened slightly.

"I-I understand." I mumble under my breath.

"I don't think we heard what you said?" Alessandro claimed, still holding onto my arm, but his grip loosened a little.

"I understand, okay." I blurted out loud enough for everyone to hear. I wonder what would happen if I slap him?

"Good, now, get up and apologize. Also, drop the attitude." Alessandro ordered. Standing up, I didn't start to make a move towards my dad. Instead, without thinking, my arm swings up, and I slap Alessandro in the face. The sound echoes through the room; his head is still facing away. The room is consumed in silence; no one even dares to breathe as they watch our interaction. Sandro's jaw buckles, and his fists clench. My heart is racing when he finally looked at me with an emotionless face.

"Go to bed." His words were numb of any expression. I can't even move if I wanted to; it's like I'm frozen in place, terrified.

"Isabella, just go to bed." Sandro repeated himself, not raising his voice or changing from his emotionless demeanor.

"You're not going to yell at me?" I question still in shock.

"Isabella, please just go to bed." He stated for a final time. Turning on my heels, I scurry out of the room and head straight for mine. Without even changing, I kick off my shoes and jump into bed.

He's going to kill me in my sleep.

I shouldn't have slapped him.

Why do I always destroy things?

Alessandro hates me so much that he can't even stand to be in the same room as me.

The heavy silence looms over me as I lay in bed, my mind racing with regret and fear. What have I done? The room feels suffocating, the events of the evening replay in my mind like a horror film.

The bedroom door squeaks open, and this time it's Leonardo, standing in the doorway. His eyes meet mine, and for a moment, I see a flicker of concern beneath the stern facade. He doesn't say a word, but his presence serves as a silent acknowledgment of the chaos that unfolded earlier.

"Isabella, are you okay?" he finally asks, his tone softer than expected. I nod, unable to find my voice. Leonardo sighs, a mix of frustration and understanding evident in his expression. "You've got a lot to learn, kid."

His words linger in the air, without another word he turns and leaves shutting the door behind him, shutting my thoughts in with me. At first, my thoughts are like a distant murmur, an uneasy hum in the background.

As the minutes tick by, the hum of my thoughts intensifies, becoming a relentless buzz that refuses to be ignored. My mind becomes a battlefield, the clash of emotions and rationality echoing in my consciousness. Regret, fear, and frustration join forces, creating a weight that threatens to drown out any peace I have left.

Every creak of the floorboards, every rustle of the curtains, becomes even louder, heightening my awareness of the silence that suffocates me.

I'm suffocating in my thoughts.