Don't Go

The gasp slipped out of my mouth before I could stop it.

We were on top of a tall cliff, with a plaid blanket spread beneath us and tall grass all around.

I was staring out at the ocean, and the sunrise was just starting to fade, along with a thousand different colours in the sky and dancing on the waves white caps.

My hands flew to my mouth, and I turned to look at Jax again.

"It's beautiful." I breathed.

Jax smiled. "I'm glad you like it. I found it a couple days before we went official, and I thought it'd be a good place for our first official date."

My eyes were watering. This guy was way too good for me.

I threw myself at him, taking both of us down on the blanket so I was on top. I wrapped my legs around him and grabbed his face.

"Thank you thank you thank you," I breathed, "It's the most perfect date I could dream of."

He laughed, grabbing my waist and flipping me to the side. "You're so welcome." He sat up, "I have something for you."

"Me too," I sat upright and scooched next to him, leaning on his shoulder.

We exchanged wrapped boxes.

"Open mine first." He said, and I obeyed with a smile, tearing the teal paper from the rectangular object.

I gasped as I pulled out the newest book by my favourite author.

"How'd you know?" I asked, hugging the book to my chest.

Jax laughed, "I've seen you read that author for years now. So, I saw that one came out and-"

I smothered the explanation with a kiss, and he smiled.

"Thank you." I said again, before pointing at his gift, "Your turn."

I was kind of nervous now, but I watched as he unwrapped the small black box and popped it open.

He pulled out the little charm. It was in the shape of an electric guitar.

"Whoa," he breathed, "It looks just like mine!"

I grinned, "You like it?"

"I love it!" He beamed.

"Here," I gently took it from him, reaching forwards and attaching it to the chain around his neck.

"Perfect." He smiled.

I pointed to the box. "There's a little more."

He lifted one layer of the box to reveal a small leather pouch. He pulled it open, dumping the contents into his palm.

"Guitar picks?" He grinned.

"Look closer," I instructed.

He held them up, squinting. Our initials were engraved into one, and...

"That's the date of when we went official." I said shyly, tapping the second pick.

"Hazel..." He breathed, "That's amazing. Thank you so much, I love them."

I breathed my own sigh of relief, laying back on the blanket. Jax tucked his gifts away safely before joining me, tangling his fingers with mine.

"I really do love you. Never forget that, okay?" Jax turned to look me in the eyes.

"I won't if you won't." I promised, looking at our entwined fingers.

He grabbed me again, pulling me against his chest. I breathed in the scent of his sweater, feeling myself relax.