ouch

"You do?"

I was almost afraid to confirm it. It seemed too good to be true.

But Jax nodded. "Just...keep your voice down, alright? Can I see one of your earrings?"

I gasped. "Jax, you're a genius!"

I pulled the earring out, never more grateful for choosing the long, thin dangling sword shapes from Dad to wear.

I carefully slid it to him, and he got to work, inserting it in the keyhole of the cuffs and wiggling it around.

I had no idea how to pick a lock, but I decided that the least I could do was try and help, so I popped the other one out and went to work on my own shackle.

"Where d'you think Andy went?" I whispered after several minutes, waiting for him to burst through the door at any moment.

"I dunno, but I hope he never comes back." Jax growled, "Any luck?"

"Not yet."

We kept working at it, until we heard footsteps at the top of the stairs.

Lightning fast, Jax tossed me my earring and I put both back in, hoping he would continue to not catch on.

The door opened and Jax moved back to casually lean against the wall, hopefully to avoid abuse for a change. I quickly did the same.

"Having casual conversations now, are we?" Andy said, looking at our casual positions, "Maybe some that involve an escape?"

I barely managed to stop my expression from changing, but Jax stayed just as cool and collected as always, telling him, "Oh, yeah, just waiting for you to slip up. Should happen any day now."

Andy laughed, but said nothing about lock picking, so he likely didn't know. Relief washed over me so violently I didn't even hear his response to Jax's statement.

However, I snapped back as I felt his eyes on me again.

"Where were you today?" I chose to ask, just trying to distract him from his creepy staring.

He grinned. "Watching as a certain video made its way to a distraught father. Don't worry, I caught it on its own recording just for you." His smile was borderline evil as he sat down on the bed and dragged me up with him.

He held his phone up, and I watched as he hit play.

"Um. Hi, Dad." My voice said. Almost immediately, Dad's expression morphed into pain, and I could see the rest of my uncles watching behind him.

Uncle Lee looked furious. Uncle Vegan and Uncle Nicholls looked exhausted. Uncle Jordan looked like he'd been crying for hours.

And Dad just looked...hollow. Empty. Broken.

I wanted to cry myself. I missed them all so much.

When the video was finally over, there was a beat of silence.

Then Dad swore violently, looking ready to punch something.

"Call the cops!" He roared, to which Uncle Jordan and Uncle Lee were quick to obey, both pulling put their phones.

Tears streamed down Dad's face, and he sank to his knees.

Andy walked on frame, and my fists clenched as he sat down beside Dad, silently comforting him.

"It's okay, man. We'll find them. We're gonna get them home safe."

"You monster!" I screamed at Andy. He just shushed me and motioned to the screen.