sTraNgeRs

I cleaned up the last of the blood from the floor, the cold water soaking through the paper towels burning on my scratches from the asphalt.

It felt good.

There was no evidence of my crime except the razor buried deep in my desk drawer, and the awful marks marring my wrists and arms, that in my opinion weren't nearly deep enough.

I'd finally gotten them to stop bleeding, and in the nick of time, too.

There was a knock on my door, and I quickly threw away the bloody tissues and yanked on a large, baggy sweater that easily hid my arms.

"Yeah?" I called, hoping my eyes weren't still red from crying.

"Hazel, are you alright? I haven't seen you since this morning. Did you just get home, or have you been up here the whole time?" Dad carefully cracked the door open, poking his head in.

"I'm okay." I mumbled, "It was just a long day at school, so I came up here and accidentally fell asleep."

"Was school okay? You wanna talk about it?" Dad entered the room all the way, moving towards me.

I hugged my arms to my stomach, only now just realizing what a horrible idea cutting myself was. "It was fine. Just...exhausting. You know how it is." I tried to laugh it off, and he seemed to relax slightly.

"Well, if you're sure."

"I'm sure. Is Uncle Jordan here?" I switched the topic.

"Sure is. He's staying for dinner again, and Emma, Eliot, and Eden are coming too."

He smiled as my own grin widened with the news. Emma, just like Jordan, was like family to me, and their son and daughter were some of my favourite kids alive, and the closest thing to siblings I would ever have.

"Come downstairs. Jordan misses you." Dad grinned and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, ruffling my hair.

"I saw him yesterday." I giggled, "But okay."

I followed Dad down the stairs and to his music room.

Uncle Jordan was sitting at a computer, nodding his head as he tapped his foot in time with whatever he was listening to on the headphones over his ears.

Dad tapped his shoulder.

He flipped the headphones down, spinning around his chair to grin at me. "Haze! Wondered where you'd gone."

"I'm here now." I walked across the room and plopped down in my favourite suspended egg chair, kicking off to make it gently swing back and forth.

He laughed, before turning to Dad.

"The sounds goin' alright. Here," he handed Dad the headphones, and Dad listened for a few minutes before launching into a conversation I only understood about half of.

I flopped back on the chair, pulling my phone out of my pocket and finding a book I downloaded, not having the commitment to get up and go find my actual, physical book.

Dad and Uncle Jordan fiddled with some things for a few more minutes before one of them said my name.

I looked up. "Yeah?"

"We need an opinion on our bridge." Uncle Jordan said, pressing a button on the computer, "Listen to this."

Dad's voice came blasting out of the speakers, and I was almost immediately hooked.

"Something's in the way, don't know what I can say. Memories...are haunting me...a sickness taking over. So bury me alive! There's nowhere left to hide! And say goodbye...'cause maybe I...maybe I will miss me, when I'm gone!"