16

HanByeol had left even before they could sit down and have snacks, fearful of her father and his wrath

HanByeol had left even before they could sit down and have snacks, fearful of her father and his wrath. The tears accumulating in her eyes were immediately wiped off by her as she listened to the man in front of her, yell and scream at the girl. "You can never do anything right" Another slap and yet, HanByeol was used to the stumbling impact.

Just like the other nights, she was about to be thrown and tortured in the basement but having enough of the pain, HanByeol pushed past everyone and sprinted outside the house. Ignoring the shouts, the female ran with all her might and strength. HanByeol kept running until her legs gave out and she collapsed.

With tears blurring her vision, HanByeol noticed the place she was at. The very same playground where she had an argument with EunGyeol the night before. Breaking out into sobs, her body shivered with the cold while it tittered with her wounds.

"I want to d-disappear" It was barely above a whisper, a cry to the heavens. Seo HanByeol was suffering enough in the future and returning to an undetermined past only doubled her sorrows. "Han JiHyo?!" A familiar voice called out to her in the darkness.

Trudging closer to the girl, the male recognised her. "It's really you" His words faltered into despair as he realised the state HanByeol was in. Throwing away his backpack, YiChan instantly crouched down in front of her, concern filling his being.

"W-whats going on?" The tremble in her body, made his heart stammer against his chest. "JiHyo-yah!?" He begged her to say something yet, a whimper was her only reply. "I'll call Ha EunGyeol" YiChan scrambled to get his beeper out of his jacket, his hands trembling with panic.

"D-Don't" HanByeol's strained vocals, pleaded the teenage boy who was confused at her request. "Why are you crying?" Wrapping his arms around her shoulder, YiChan brought HanByeol into an embrace.

"I'm tired" Was all she implied before falling asleep in his arms. Panic rose in his chest as he misinterpreted that HanByeol had fainted but he soothed himself when he heard the light snore emitting from the weary girl. YiChan took in her appearance. Her redden and swollen cheeks. Tear stained face. His heart shattered into pieces. The male couldn't ignore the fact that he watched her bright light wilting away, day by day.

The smile on her face, withering like a rose. YiChan feared that the girl would eventually be taken away from him and even the thought of it, rattled his soul. He hadn't known HanByeol for long but YiChan had come to care about her more than he could imagine.

According to him, HanByeol or JiHyo was like a younger sibling he never had. A bestfriend besides MaJoo. YiChan could trade the world to see her single smile light up the room. Placing his hands on the small of her back and the other behind her knee, YiChan picked her up and strided towards his house.

"What's going on with you, JiHyo-yah?" YiChan knew she couldn't hear him but he kept making conversations with her sleeping self, a way to calm his own fears regarding HanByeol.

"YiChan! You're late" A waiting EunGyeol was leaning up against the wall of the guesthouse. His eyes widened when he took in the sight in front of him. "SEO HANBYEOL?"