Our honeyed threads; lovecubed

This is one of my personal favorites. I know y'all r gonna like this one. Also long asl

our honeyed threads
lovecubed

Summary:

"I've missed you."

These are the first words Yang Jungwon says to the boy in front of him, someone he most definitely does not know.

What the hell. Why did he say that? What the hell, what the hell what the—

The boy blinks his confusion away before he quirks his mouth up in a half smile, his eyes shining with mirth.

"I don't know you," he says with certainty. "But I've missed you too, I guess."

(or: Jungwon is one of the few people who can remember their past lives, and Jongseong has been in too many of his. That doesn't make saying I love you any easier, though. If anything, it only makes it harder.)
Authors Notes:

"jungwon's an old soul trapped in a young body" but like, actually

the reincarnation premise was definitely inspired by the minjoon fic lost in you by jonghyunslisterine so give it a read if you haven't !!

thank you to the loml faith for beta reading this <3<3<3

here is my fic playlist

i hope you enjoy <3
(See the end of the work for more notes.)
—————————————————————————————
Jungwon's earliest memory is from when he was three or four years old.

He knows it's from this life because, even through the haze, he can distinctly make out his parents' unwrinkled faces and his older sister's red dress. They're on a beach on Jeju Island, and the sun was beginning to drown and his parents were calling his name, urging We have to go home now, Jungwon, we have to go home.

But Jungwon remained fixed on the sand, his chubby fingers pressing down against the soggy sides of his sandcastle, urging the structure to last forever. The tide was coming in, and he was worried, so worried.

His mother didn't care how worried he was. She pulls him up anyway, firmly grabbing his sea-kissed hands to tug him towards the car.

He puts all his focus onto the walk back, his newly-purchased sandals doing little to protect him from stumbling over the sharp seashells scattered across the beach. So, it's only once the sun has died and his father's buckling his sister into the car that Jungwon gets a chance to look back, tiptoeing to gaze over the tall blades of grass.

Jungwon looks for his sandcastle, and it's then he learns that some fates are better left unknown.

His sandcastle was already half-crumbled and broken. It wasn't even the ocean that ate it—the wind had gotten to it first.

Like it never even had a chance of lasting.

Jungwon doesn't believe in baseless inevitabilities. Outcomes are worked for and, even then, no outcomes are guaranteed. Fleeting strokes of luck or blindsiding tragedies can change everything, so nothing is inevitable.

Jongseong is the only exception.

And, in this life, Jungwon's fourteen when he finds Jongseong again.

It's his first time in the BigHit building, and his legs feel weak as he stumbles through the large, unfamiliar hallways. He's late, he's late, and the ceilings are so far away it makes him dizzy, but he refuses to let his nerves show in the shake of his still-growing limbs. So, once Jungwon thinks he's found the right practice room, he straightens his back and takes a deep breath in.