Ill go get a ring (let the choir bells sing); darlingriki ❕

1. I love this song by Bruno mars like stop
2. Yes Jay is straight in the beginning of the story but he's literally a kid 🌚
3. I just realized that jungwon is always asking Jay about marriage irl. But in this story Jay is the one obsessed with marriage
4. There will be scenes of sexual content but not actual smut
_________________________
I'll go get a ring (let the choir bells sing)
darlingriki

Summary:

In many ways, Jongseong thinks he'd been preparing himself for this moment for his whole life. In other ways, he thinks he was extremely unprepared—not at all expecting the rapid-fire of emotions coursing through him as he sat his boyfriend down on the couch in his parents' living room, right beside their ornate Christmas tree, and knelt down in front of him on one knee.

More simply: Five times Jongseong proposed, plus the one time it finally worked out for him.
Notes:

This can work as a stand-alone fic, but would definitely make more sense and hit a bit differently with the full context of the rest of the series, so I'd recommend reading the rest if you're interested!
Anyway, I've always wanted to write a 5+1 type of fic, and what better way to finally experiment with the format than this, yes? Regardless, hope you all enjoy!

(TW: brief use of homophobic language used as a slur, although between friends with no hard feelings-teenage boy nonsense)

Song Rec
(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

"Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision.

You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.

Because this is what love is." —Louis de Bernières

i.

The very first time Park Jongseong ever proposed marriage, he was four years old, and hardly knew what the word even meant.

His mommy and daddy were married, and so were his Grammy and Gramps. His Auntie Jackie wasn't married yet, and everyone talked about that as if it were a bad thing, or something to be worried about (though Auntie Jackie didn't seem worried at all; if anything, she seemed quite pleased about it any time anyone brought up the concern.)

Saralynn's mommy and daddy were married, too. They lived in the house next door, and had for as long as he'd been born. They were friends with his mom and dad, and Saralynn was his best friend. That meant they played together every day, and shared their snacks, and told each other secrets that no one else could know.

Somewhere along the line, he'd noticed that his parents and his grandparents also did these things with each other, and promptly came to the conclusion that this meant marriage was the ultimate, unbreakable seal of best-friendship. And, therefore, he and Saralynn had better get married quick, because no one else was gonna steal his best friend away from him!

"No, no! This one!" Saralynn whined, pointing to one of the little doll beds that belonged to her Barbie Dream House. Jongseong wordlessly dropped the one he'd picked up and grabbed the other, placing it carefully on the back of his toy pickup truck, running the wheels loudly across the gravel towards the elaborately built toy house on the edge of the driveway.

"The other one's better."

"Nuh-uh, it has blue on it. Barbie's house should be all pink!"