Chapter # 4

Riding at a comfortable pace, Carr and Bolt reach the rolling grasslands by daybreak.

As the sun slowly rises, they follow the highest ridge south. Trotting along briskly Carr looks down noticing the horse's long strides. At first impressed by Bolt's speed now admires its endurance.

Surveying west across the rolling grasslands he studies the distinct dark Ironwood Forest. Envisioning encounters with never-before-seen beasts that could be waiting causes Carr to shudder.

Finding a seldom used, trail west they start traveling the ups and downs of the descending rolling hills.

After the first hill the horse noticeably enjoys it, building speed going down to quickly crest the next. Zipping over the short sharp hills causes Carr's stomach to lift, into his throat, but he likes it.

Cresting the last hill he slows Bolt, to look at the forest ahead.

Halted he scans back towards home and the city. Next dilemma he wonders what to do with Bolt. Keep the horse close and risk being detected. Wanting to hold to a promise made he can't leave the horse tied up in there, to be eaten.

Getting down he directs Bolt back towards the city, "Thanks for the ride, Bolt. You can go home now." Carr slaps the horse's hindquarters.

The horse whips Carr's face with its' tail.

Stepping back Carr feels his cheek. He watches the horse walk away, grazing, "Thanks. Try and at least graze your way back. Unseen."

Shaking head and shrugging Carr turns to focus on the forest. With a deep sighing breath, he heads for the tree line.

Strange noises emanate from the forest making Carr nervous. Drawing his long-sword cautiously enters, "What the hell am I doing? I hope this is going to be worth it."

Looking about, most of the trees are tall and twisted, with little low foliage. Carr's concerned any one of the trees could be a Treant or all of them.

Vegetation is not as overgrown as Carr pictured. In fact, large patches throughout are barren of growth.

Listening to strange noises, he only sees birds and the odd squirrel. Once and a while large flying insects occasionally buzz by his head, checking him out.

A few hours into the forest Carr spots a fallen tree off the path to rest on. The forest darkens as the afternoon sun, becomes obscured by clouds.

Leaning the sword against the fallen tree Carr sits. Resting the backpack on his lap sees if Mother included anything useful.

"Oh crap." Carr pushes the pack's contents around, "All she put in here was a few days of rations, a bandage with herb pack. My other cloak, a couple canvass sacks, an extra dagger. And the lock picks, a lot of good they'll do me, out here."

Thinking for a minute Carr mutters. "Well maybe I could, Eeoow!" A biting pain on the back of his right thigh causes him to jump up, dropping the pack onto the ground.

Reaching down Carr's fingers touch a hard wriggling and writhing critter.

Quickly grasping and plucking it from the leg he yelps. Bringing into view a giant centipede almost two spans long.

It hisses at him as its dozens of legs and body segments writhe about.

Disgusted and vengeful Carr firmly presses the critter against the tree.

With his free hand takes up the sword lopping its' head off. Immediately whipping the squirming body deep into the woods.

Another centipede crests the tree rearing its' head hissing. With the flat of the blade the oversized bug is batted away. Leaving several twitching legs behind. He watches the other part of the centipede scurry away.