Chapter #24

Starting into the market Carr sees an elderly woman selling quilts and heavy blankets. Thinking they need some he approaches. Not wishing to carry blankets all day merely checks her wares in passing.

Cutting down the back street to Elija's Inn all seems fine. Children are chasing each other around; others watch giggling from building corners.

Stepping into the entrance of the Slaughtered Lamb Carr sees the Dwarves sleeping around, under and beside one table. The target wall is in need of repair as daylight is peering in. Passing by the bar Carr sees Elija and his wife working in the kitchen.

Waving Carr announces his presence, "Thanks for letting me use Bolt."

Squinting to see Elija waves once back, "Hey Carr! Come on back. Last night we heard you were in Hell."

Carr enters the kitchen, "Hello Millie, hello Elija."

Millie, Elija's short round wife smiles at Carr, "Hi Carr. Were you really in Hell?"

Nodding Carr informs them. "Sure was. Got back just hours ago. It only felt like we were gone a few hours. And I hear we were gone two days."

Elija queries jokingly, "Oh, yeah. So, what was it like?"

Still able to sense the place Carr replies, "Its' hot, hard to breathe. Mostly due to the stench in the air."

Elija surmises, "Sulphury?"

"More than," Carr notes, "can still taste it."

"Here, sit," Millie grabs a stool for Carr, "I'll fix you something to eat. I've got milk too."

"Okay," Carr sits, "Thanks Millie but don't get carried away I've eaten some already."

"Sure thing dear," Millie pours up three cups of milk.

Unseen by Carr, Sandra enters from the back.

Wanting to get to the heart of an issue Carr speaks directly to Elija, "Hey, why didn't you warn me, you and the King were using me?"

"Sorry Carr." Elija earnestly apologizes. "I dropped a gold coin in your mug to let you know but you didn't see it. If I had straight out told you, it would have turned out differently."

"Damn right. I would have taken one look at the Ironwood forest and said no way, am I, going in there alone for some King."

Millie sets a cup of milk in front of Carr first, "Don't worry I slapped Elija up for ya."

"Thanks Millie," Carr snickers at Elija.

"Wow, you went into the Ironwood forest alone." Sandra makes her presence known. "You're certainly daring, aren't you?"

Her tone and words make Carr speculating if they've met before, "Hello, Sandra. Right?"

She nods, making Elija wonder if something is going on between them.

Carr continues his thought, "Tell me what was your interest in the affair? For you to suggest an ambush?"

That gets Millie's attention she looks into the eyes of the pair. Even checking her man to see if he is in on it.

On the spot Sandra thinks swiftly, "I knew what was going on. You were my choice to prevail over all the others. I just thought I'd share my idea."

"Were yous gambling on me?" Carr queries. "What were my odds?" Certain he's met Sandra before.

Elija laughs, "No, son. Shoulda though." He attempts to adjust the topic. "So, Carr after you got back on Bolt how did you like the ride?"

Carr points a finger at Elija, "You should've warned me about Bolt too. I suppose the whole of Halford's army laughing at me on my butt, finally drowned out the noise of the Dwarves."

"No," sighs Elija, "I was informed later." He peers into the bar, "I think that's the longest they've been out."

"Yeah." Millie sets down a plate of smoked fish and cut vegies, patting Carr's shoulders, "Eat something good to get the bad out."

"Thanks Millie," Carr goes right for the fish, "But that horse was fun to ride. Once I could keep up with him. That is the speediest steed I've ridden."

Nabbing a piece of the fish Elija nods, "Yah all around agree. And many including myself ended up like you. Sore and humiliated by the animal."

Millie shares, "Nice enough looking horse but there's no way I'd ride it."

Not knowing Bolt, Sandra inquires, "I'd be curious to see how fast this animal is. Would you allow me to ride the horse some time?"

Everyone quietly turns to Sandra as if she's crazy.

"Ah," Elija's willing to let any fit male try, "you could get seriously hurt."

Pleasantly smiling Sandra informs them, "I've ridden animals and trained as an acrobat. But I would like the chance to ride such an acclaimed animal."

"Okay it's your butt not mine." Elija tells her, "Go see Willie. He'll want someone to take Bolt out in a couple days anyway." He turns back to Carr, "Willie wants us to know Bolt doesn't like being a pack animal either."

Humorously Carr mentions, "He don't like being told what to do either. I set him loose to return to the castle. He grazes. The band of thugs picked Bolt up." Recalling a detail Carr lean in talking low, "One of those thugs was Lord Kapigorn. And I killed him."

Trying to stay quiet Elija informs Carr. "That's who the Dwarves are looking for. I can't believe he was right in here and nobody noticed. I've never met the guy." He chuckles pointing to the Dwarves, "They should have known. Too damn drunk I suppose."

"Yeah, I got his sword back in the castle," Carr proudly states, "Faked him right out."

Elija easily coaxes Carr to tell the events since leaving the bar. Intriguing them with the use of the centipedes. Entertaining mainly Elija with the fight.

His story stays true being unusual. Elija laughs at him for running into Avilo's men out in the open. They were surprised to hear what took care of the thugs. Also impressed to hear how far Halford has gone to treat Carr. Plus, they are fascinated about the trip to Hell, which Carr went into great detail about.

The women were intrigued to find out about the Night-hag's former being.

Millie accidentally jests. "People change."

As they laugh Carr sees by the shadows it's nearing afternoon, "Well I've got to get back to the castle. I've got a meeting with the King."

"Oooo," Elija teases, "I've got a meeting with the King too, twice a month in the bar."

Speaking to them Carr stands to hug Millie, "Thanks Millie. I'll be back later."

Millie waves with a smile, "Okay."

Studying the young rogue Sandra waves once, "We'll keep a seat warm for you."

Elija tries to get Carr in trouble, "Tell him he owes me three silver."

"Don't do that." Millie glares at Elija, "They come close to blows when that starts."

"Okay," Carr hesitates at the back doorway, "Oh Zei, the armorist, says he's going to pay his debt soon."

Watching Carr leave Elija utters, "I'll believe it, when I see it in my hand."