Chapter #26

As the last of the common folk leave the merchants are allowed to speak. Carr tires of listening them drone on about taxes and fees; Pirates on shipping routes bandits on the roads; All expecting the King to do something about it and compensate them. Carr begins to see them more as overgrown spoiled children.

Just when Carr thought he'd heard the worst of it, three wealthy men get into a debate over a land claim. One man puts Carr to sleep going on about the history of the land in question.

"Hey you can't sleep here." Utters a hall guard, shaking Carr awake.

"Ah, what?" Snapping to, Carr wipes drool from his lips, "Sorry." Noticing the merchants and the King himself are watching he stands and bows, "Sorry your majesty." Pointing to one of the landowners, "His voice and subject acted like a sleeping spell on me."

Smiling for the first time that afternoon King Halford states, "Yes. I feel the same way when he speaks." He speaks to the merchants, "This young man is Carr. He's the rogue who returned the Kingdom's wealth back to its' vault. Why without his skills I wouldn't be granting so many favors today."

Amazing Carr the merchants stand and applaud his forced actions.

Feeling the need to speak Carr compliments, "King Halford is the fairest of all the rulers I've ever met. I am truly proud to have helped your Kingdom. I think your King is true nobleman willing to use his wealth to better his people."

The hall applauds their King and Carr. Even Halford claps a little.

King Halford waves him forward, "Come up here."

The guard that woke Carr escorts him around the back and up the wide central aisle.

The King asks the merchants. "Does anyone have any further business?" He surveys the quiet merchants, "Well before you leave you may want to hear this young man's tale. What he had to do to retain his life after being cursed, if you will, in returning the treasure. Go ahead Carr tell us about what happened with you and this Hag. The good Captain has filled me in on the basics. But you're a better storyteller. So please if you would."

"Okay your Majesty." Carr clears his throat. Always happy to tell tales to anyone who'll listen, starts the tale from ambushing the bandits. Informing them of how the Hag came to haunt him in his dreams.

The merchants seem amused, so Carr vividly recounts the battle with the Night-hag and her Larvae. Avilo fills in his black out moments. Ending the tale with dividing up the chest while being healed. All are definitely entertained by the tale.

King Halford humorously queries, "So, it's true. You even kissed her. I just have one question. "How was it?"

Blushing Carr decides to answer the King with humor, "Despite the death breath and forked tongue my most memorable kiss yet."

Pausing to look over Carr, the King busts out laughing encouraging the people in the hall to join in.

Shaking his head in disbelief at Carr's bold comments Avilo too is amused.

Chuckling King Halford states. "I wish we could end more of these meetings with a laugh." He speaks to the remaining merchants, "Anyway, I'll look into your concerns and we'll meet again in two weeks."

Each merchant bows and thanks the King for his time before leaving. A few stops to shake Carr's hand and introduce themselves.

As the hall empties Halford speaks to Avilo, "Bring Carr back to the Dining hall." He chuckles to himself exiting the room.

"Yes sir." Captain Avilo watches the King leave.

A great venture to be remembered, Carr can't believe despite losing a fortune the good fortune he's having, "Dinner with the King two nights in a row. I feel privileged."