Chapter #20

Noticing the style of clouds out the open window and direction they float Cornelious senses, "something isn't right." He glances at a mechanical clock, "My clock has stopped too."

Dell peers out the window, "What do you mean? The sun is starting to rise in the east as it should."

Pointing to the clock the mage notes, "I have to wind it every three days. I wound it the day you returned with the King's treasure."

Thinking the clock is getting as old as its owner Dell replies, "Are you sure? Or is the clock wearing out? We are in the castle."

Studying the room, the mage suggests. "I think the couple hours we spent on the third plane of Hell. Have equaled a couple days back on our plane."

Pondering the idea Dell and Carr get lost in thoughts.

Not sure how to feel about it, Junior half jokes. "That must be why I'm so hungry."

Patting his belly Carr feels different, "I feel light headed like I'd been drinking. My head certainly pounds that way."

The tower lightens showing their torn up bloody faces, Dell points to Junior and Carr, "Holy you two need to wrap up those, gashes across your faces."

Junior points to Dell, "Where's the rest of your ear?"

The punctures to the top of his chest were taking away the dull pain in the back and stomach. Dell had forgotten about his ear, trying to touch what isn't there. "I think the Hag ate it."

Cornelious digs up some bandages for them, "Yeah you guys look awful." He hands them out, "You're also looking pretty pale. Better at least try to slow up the bleeding. Before the cleric gets here."

Carr tries to put loose skin on the face back in place. Quickly wrapping his own face, Junior leaves pieces of skin dangling.

Concerned with his chest more than his ear Dell gets Cornelious to help him remove the leather tunic and shirt from underneath. Sympathetically gasping Carr and Junior see Dell's chest. Six well defined, punctures across the top of the chest are oozing blood.

Carr stops them, "Hold on you'll need more than that wrap." He tears up the sleeves of Dell's shirt, "Best fold these up and pad up those wounds." Handing them pieces of material.

With only his eyes and lips showing from behind the bandage Junior comments, "He can see in the dark, fight, cook, and can be a medic. Carr you really should join up with us and Halford's army."

"Thanks," Carr chuckles, "but no thanks."

Trying to get past the pain Dell focuses on the iron chest and teasing Carr, "What do we need with a thief who can't pick a lock?"

That of course gets Junior's attention, "I got a dagger right here." He reaches back to retrieve the blade.

"That's not going to help." Carr studies the lock on the chest. "Cornelious, do you have any darts?"

The mage thinks about it.

Junior shows Carr the dagger. "I thought good thieves could pick a lock with a knife."

"Thin knife maybe." Carr informs him, "I have to move the parts inside the lock. Yes I can crack a lock with a blade."

Recalling he once had darts, the old mage gets up to search the room.

Just being himself, Dell taunts, "Well, show us how."

Carr points out the different spots on the box to use a blade on. No one wants to offer up a good blade for that recklessness.

"Ah-hah," Holding four old darts high Cornelious brings them to Carr. "Can't throw these ones anymore. The feather flights are coming undone."

"Thanks." Carr takes two. "I'll only be throwing them if I get frustrated." He kneels in front of the lock.