Chapter #21

Cresting the stairs Captain Avilo returns with Gaylord and a young ovate. Entering the room Avilo points to Paul, "He's right there. Do your best with him. Thank you again for coming yourself."

Surveying the room Gaylord sees all the blood-soaked bandages. Rolling his eyes the cleric speaks to his apprentice, "Alister, hand the ones who can stand a single vial. After assist me with this poor young fool." He points to Paul.

Alister bows, "Right away."

Captain Avilo reports to the men, "To let you know, we've been gone two full nights."

Not too surprised Cornelious speaks on behalf of the others, "I thought the time wasn't quite right." The mage turns down the vial of healing, "Not needed," patting his chest, "I've a healing pedant."

"Strangely I feel no different," Avilo informs them, "I arranged to have some food sent up, it'll be a while." He advises his men, "Dell, Junior, you guys best get cleaned up and pay a visit to your mothers. You know how fast bad news spreads. Some already think we're dead. Better bring dinner."

Dell takes a ceramic vial from the apprentice, "Thank you Alister." He replies to Avilo's advice, "yes I should." Looking at the vial he asks Gaylord, "Will this re-grow my ear?" Dell points it out.

"No son," the cleric doesn't even look continuing to examine Paul's head, "the potion in the vial is to heal your wounds."

"Thanks." Junior takes a vial, "If it's going to cure our wounds right away why not always use it? Why heal with magic or time?"

"Thank you." Carr smiles asking the ovate, "Do you know?" Knowing himself notices Alister's master is bothered by the questions.

"Yes, and you're all welcome." Alister explains. "Firstly, the ingredients used are hard to find. It takes a stone in weight of material to make a dozen vials. If one constantly uses the potions, it's said the curing power lessens. It's also believed that each vial consumed takes a year of your life away."

Reasoning it out Dell shrugs, "Well I'll probably die in battle." Popping the cork out he drinks it down.

Carr removes his cork and holds it out in toast to Junior. He joins in the health toast after tapping the vials together they drink them down.

The ovate collects the empty vials before joining his cleric.

"Here Dell," Cornelious hands him a ring, "a ring of regeneration."

Taking the ring Dell asks. "Oh, what does it do?"

Carr, Gaylord, Alister and Cornelious shake their heads in disbelief.

Smiling Avilo informs Dell, "Put it on. A month later your ear will appear normal again."

"Oh. Really," putting it on a suitable finger Dell waits to feel it work.

Noticing the jewelry Avilo comments, "I guess there was something worthwhile in the chest. Was it worth being trapped in Hell for?"

"No." Carr points out, "but our good wizard made out well. A new book of magic and the tools to go along with it."

Figuring it's just a book of evil, Avilo queries, "And a jewelry box. Anything else?"

Studying the regeneration ring Dell mumbles, "Clothes and Junior's picked out a nice green dress for himself."

"Huh?" Avilo looks at Junior. "Your mother?"

"Nah." Junior grins. "See what I can get at the brothel for it in trade."

Avilo jests, "Something itchy no doubt."

The men chuckle even Gaylord.

"It's not, that bad there." Junior tries to change the subject, handing Avilo the framed portrait, "Check out this cutie Carr kissed."

Studying the painting Avilo likes the work, "This painter was truly skilled, but it's not signed." Flipping it over he checks for a signature or date.

Not getting the reply anticipated, Junior pushes it, "Can you believe a woman that beautiful kissing Carr?"

Viewing the subject Avilo comments. "She's beautiful all right. Too beautiful for the likes of any of you." Looking to Carr he inquires, "You know this lady?"

Dell laughs, "That's no lady. We've all met her."

"Pardon?" Avilo starts to see it in the face, "Are you telling me this was once that evil old Hag? And Carr you kissed her?"

A bit flush Carr sighs, "Yes, we think that was the Hag. And she kissed me. I didn't have any choice. She had me off the ground by my throat." Pointing to the disappearing marks on his neck.

Tired Dell pushes it further, "You forgot to tell him how well she uses her tongue."

The men burst out laughing, except Gaylord. His apprentice smiles from the laughter but doesn't understand the humor.

Surveying the beat up and bloody group laughing frustrates Gaylord, he turns to them, "One woman did all this damage? And you're all laughing about it. Were you smoking galenous for the pain? Or have you all head injuries affecting your mind?"

Having been scolded the men become silent.

Gaylord rants, "I get tired of healing people for things they could have avoided. Just to do it again," He points out Carr, "I just healed him the other night and he comes back clawed up." He motions to Paul, "He's barely alive, I can do little for his missing eye. Even if I can heal him there is no guarantee he won't have brain damage. And here you are laughing."

The cleric's oldest friend, Cornelious calms him, "Come now, you always say laughter is a sign of good recovery. These young men should be happy. They survived a trip to Hell. Possible protecting all, that live in the castle."

Gaylord knows the old mage, "Saving lives? You my friend went just because you could."

"Of course," Cornelious says with no shame, "and I was ordered to."

"Hah." Gaylord turns his attention back to Paul, "When you heard Avilo's report your old eyes lit up."

Cornelious sticks his tongue out at the cleric's back, before explaining to the men, "When we use our powers to harness energy around us. It takes a lot of our own. And healers are usually left with the pains from those healed."

Three servants reach the top of the stairs. Carrying with them baskets, the third a jug of water and wooden mugs. With no place to set anything they leave it on the floor. Bowing slightly the trio return to the castle.

Junior gets right in there, "We got dried meat. Fruits and vegetables. And some day-old buns." He goes for the meat first.

Carr pours up a mug of water taking something from each basket, Cornelious does the same. Just needing some moisture Avilo gets a mug of water. Dell is not interested in any of it, yet.