Chapter #32

Handing her the lantern Carr wrestles with the pigs getting them untangled. Making it take longer every time Ma turns to see if the grizzly is out there.

She mumbles, "That bear scared you so bad you came running home. Leaving the ox to be eaten."

Separating the pigs Carr sighs, "I know."

"Here you are lying to me," a shiver runs down her spine feeling stared at, "you ran it off."

With the pigs back on the path Carr motions her to lead them back. "I just stood my ground as it charged. I was about to try chopping its beak open when the old bastard cut right and took off. I think it was the new suit. Thought I was a Dragon."

Navigating the path Ma knows he's getting bolder, "He charged you? Really?"

"Oh yeah." Carr jests maneuver the pigs, "If a hadn't relieved myself earlier. You would be smelling it." The pigs seem to follow his mother.

Truth or not she's glad to see he hasn't returned wounded, "Did you get any supplies?"

"Yup, there in my pack." Carr gets the feeling they are being followed. "There's a bunch of crates in our new sailboat." Scanning the area, he doesn't see anything concerning. Hearing only falling leaves and their footfalls.

"That better not be just galenous in your pack," she remarks, "and you bought a boat?"

Still his senses say something else is out there, "I'll be able to show you back in the farmhouse."

Darkening the path on Carr she rounds a big tree and thick bush. "What did you and Cornelious talk about?"

"Hmm," distracted Carr struggles with memory, "I can't recall. After preventing a fight with a group of Dwarf mercenaries we ended up drinking with them."

"Ooo," she knows them Dwarves and their drink, "How many days where you trapped with them?"

Carr chuckles, "Elija said they had been there almost two weeks. I got lucky. Or should I say the Dwarves got lucky. Anyway, Elija told us when Cornelious was drunk he tried to summon ale. And instead got a prostitute named Gayle." His peripheral vision picks up definite movement to their left.

Not amused by those stories Ma queries, "Is that what happened to the rest of the gems?"

"I'm sure I bought drinks," Carr stares into the woods, "But the Dwarves took Gayle back to their room."

Ma needs more details. "What were you about to fight with the Dwarves over?"

Looking and not thinking Carr utters, "They didn't believe I killed Lord Krang." Then realizes he's about to hear her opinion and be asked more questions.

"So, you went fighting." She huffs, "In some arena? Showing off your new armor I bet."

"No Ma. It was before I got the armor." Knowing more questions will follow he'll have a hard time trying to listen to their surroundings.

Remembering whom the Lord is she noisily draws in air, "That's King Kapigorn's son. They're going to come after you for sure."

"Nobody is going to know. That soon." Saying it he wonders if it's an assassin out there sent for revenge. Carr explains what has happened in Kapigorn, while constantly glancing about.

She now realizes Carr was up to something while in the city and wonders how to piece it all together, "How did Cornelious prove you killed him?"

"He summoned the Orc's family crested sword." A stick snaps in the woods drawing his attention.

Obscuring the sound she inquires with concern, "You don't have the sword anymore? Do you?"

"It's in the backpack." Carr smells the air.

"Why did you have to kill the Lord?"

Nearby dry leaves crinkle while Carr answers, "He didn't want me to have their treasure."

"What?" She turns around stopping the pigs.

"Hey." Carr stumbles into the pigs.

"What's this about treasure?" She holds the light up to see his face.

"Alright." Carr manages to stabilize himself, "Just keep moving I'll tell you everything."

"Oh, great," she throws up her arms turning around walking quicker, "I knew you had something planned. That's why you were in a hurry to get to the city. You couldn't even think of anything else."

"I did not, come on now." Carr points out, "You packed in the picks and a bandage. I never needed the picks. And thank you I did need the bandage."

"Mhm," Listening she leads on.

Carr starts from the entering Elija's bar on the first night. He lets her know Elija and Sandra provided him with information, a plan and a horse.

She warns, "You have to watch that Elija, he'll get you into trouble."

"He did." Carr gets her to laugh at his expense with the horse ride.

Hearing he went into the Ironwood forest she notes, "That's an old dangerous forest. You shouldn't go in there alone."

"Well I did." He explains the centipede incident and how they were used. She thought that was very clever of him. He gives her the basics of the fight.

Exiting the woods, she has to ask, "A red cloud came?"

Heading right for the barn Carr makes her wait saying he just woke up where he fell.

Opening the gate to the corral she queries, "You slept in that forest? Is there something wrong with you?"

"Ah, I didn't have any choice." After leading the pigs in he removes the ropes from their snout rings.

Closing up the pen Carr goes in to detail about what was around when he woke.

Continuing in the farmhouse Ma makes up some tea while Carr brings out the pastries. Getting a better look at the new armor she likes it and goes on about the coloring. Calling Carr her little Dragon.

Showing the magic bag, she shows a keen interest when Carr explains there were nine of them, full of treasures.

When Captain Avilo and his riders caught him in the grasslands she guesses, "Halford set you up. Didn't he? That's why you're still standing here."

Nodding Carr wasn't sure he wanted to tell her about the Night-hag. Quickly altering the story to say Cornelius was in the forest helping.

She believes it, so Carr just talks about the events in the castle and the city.

"All he gave you was some supplies, a boat, new armor and some animals? For returning his treasure." The only part of her son's story she liked hearing was he had two baths.

Instead of the truth Carr tells her, "I got him to forgive your past crimes."

She finds that a sweet gesture, "You didn't have to do that for me."

"I wanted you to be able to travel with me to the city one day." Carr dumps the bag's contents on the dirt floor, "Check out all this stuff."

She was about to tell him to take it outside but watches as item after item falls from the bag, "I've never seen one of those bags. It holds quite a bit. Very handy."

"Yeah." Carr catches the quilts before they hit the floor, "I got us some new blankets." He hands them to her.

"Wow, these are really nice. I like this yellow one the best."

"That's good." Carr begins to stack the casks and sacks, "I picked that one out just for you.

"Thank you Carr." Still holding the quilt, she comes over and gives him a kiss on the cheek, "I'm glad you made it home, early. And these pastries are delicious."

"I know eh." Carr mistakenly asks, "What did you do while I was gone?"

While remaking her bed with the quilt she answers. "It was quiet. Oh, a few days ago I did encounter someone down at the swamp."