Chapter #12

Seeing too many ghosts of the past King Halford gets his mind off them, "Anyway Carr, what I was getting to. I know full well if Captain Avilo and his men hadn't come along," winking once while leaning forward, "you would've tried take the whole treasure. Wouldn't you?"

Being stared through Carr hesitates answering, only nodding slightly.

"Of course," King Halford grins, "I would too. So, knowing who raised you, I figured your morals would either be the same or opposite."

The rogue wonders where he's going, "My morals? Are you telling me you knew? Elija, right?"

Making Carr aware Halford starts to fill them in, "I was told a band of thugs were hanging out in my city. Elija sends word they're in his place. I already knew and was on my way there with a couple dozen men. Some were inside when you entered, to keep an eye on the wanderers. The rest were outside lurking around, while I chatted with Elija. A page runs over telling me that a young, known male entered the city as well. Elija knew it was you from the armor and title. He told me the basics about you."

Considering Sandra as more than a face he can't place Carr's curious, "Did you two have the barmaid suggest an ambush to me?"

With a pat on Carr's shoulder Gaylord finishes, "Thanks for making them simple ones." He turns to the King and bows, "Good night your majesty."

Watching Gaylord walk away Halford smiles, knowing the cleric doesn't have to address him that way, "Fun guy, that Gaylord. I didn't tell anybody about an ambush. Not my way. Maybe Elija paid her. Didn't know he had a barmaid? Thought his wife was too cheap for that."

"Me too. She's pretty as well. Elija said his wife told him to hire her," Carr sighs, "I can't believe I was set up."

Feeling bad for him Junior says, "I didn't know."

"None of them did." King Halford advises, "Working alone you know the less told to others makes for better results when scheming. I didn't know how it was going to work out. I even sent a group of mercenaries down the coast. Making sure if they were taking the treasure to the sea, they could be intercepted." Halford laughs, "I think they are still searching."

Discouraged with the gate-keeper Carr mutters, "And I paid the keeper for good information when I entered the city."

Halford glances at Avilo, "Do the men still do that?"

The Captain doesn't approve but they're not his men, "I've heard that sir."

Shaking his head Halford notifies them, "Well Ralston, don't be paying them. So, you know, whatever a man can show he was bribed. I will pay twice to get their information."

The saddled horse starts to make sense to Carr, "Did you send word to have a horse ready?"

Halford nods pointing out, "The man arrived to find the stablemaster already saddling the horse." The King leans forward with a knowing grin, "So how does Bolt handle? My children were so disappointed that they didn't get to see your first ride."

Carr attempts to amuse the King, "Well clear the main road and I'll try it again for them." Seeing the King not smile he answers, "But that horse is certainly faster than any other I've ridden."

Not seeing it either Junior has to ask, "What happened?"

"Well," Carr rubs his backside, "that horse just raced out from under me."

Junior prefers seeing it happen to others.

Avilo has been there, "I've had some fast animals."

Halford also. "I got Bolt in jest, for Elija. Sent men scouring the countryside for the fastest horse."