Chapter # 9

A few hours later deep in the lightwoods Avilo and his men are mixed on how they feel about Carr and the whole situation. Many crazy speculations are made about the mysterious cloud.

The last hour Avilo's mulled over thoughts. All are forced to overhear Junior and Dell arguing their viewpoints.

Dell loudly states, "I don't believe him, he's saving his hide. There has to be others. They sent him to stash the treasure. While the others removed the bodies so no one will know if the real bandits are dead or not."

"You make a valuable point," Avilo considers the possibility, "Send four men to search the edge of the great swamp."

Content to be heard Dell falls back to send men off.

Ahead a tree with a thick branch perfect for hanging stands out. Carr prays that being escorted by a paladin it won't happen to him.

Avilo points out the realities to them, "It sounds as though you encountered some sort of magic user in the woods. Why you and the treasure are still here, it doesn't matter. The King can decide the truth tomorrow. It's his valuables. And you are, certainly not one of the thieves we were looking for. Because of your youth I can see you trying to steal a treasure like this."

Intrigued Carr asks, "Why's that Captain Avilo, Sir."

"I, being older," Avilo states, "would not try such a feat alone. And no group of thieves is going to let one go anywhere with all that was taken. Divided up and went their separate ways maybe. Was Elija in on it?"

"No." Carr says right away, "I had to pay him to borrow the horse."

The Captain doesn't believe him but also knows Elija, "You didn't plan on returning King Halford's goods, did you?" He doesn't need an answer that. "Halford is a fair ruler. I'm proud to serve him. Your behavior so far favors you and I will mention it to the King." He observes a look of despair on Carr's face, "My word has merit with the King. After you tell him your tale again, the King will make his judgment. If he believes you, he may be happy just to get his treasures back and let you go."

Frustrated that his future is in question Carr tries to make a point, "You got me. But we all know this stuff comes from the poor and raiding other treasure houses of fallen foe. If you hadn't an allegiance to anyone, wouldn't you try and take it?"

Avilo's morals don't see it that way, "You're correct to where it comes from. I will always have an allegiance to my God and my morals. There's more value in doing what's right for the common good. We're not Gods only men. The only way we can live on is to be remembered for the things we did, good or bad."

The group gets quiet, thinking over what the Captain has said. Carr thinks maybe it'd be best to slip away in the night.

If Bolt was truly loaned out it gives the rogue substantial merit to Avilo. "If Elija trusted you with his horse, that says something. He won't even give credit to any of my men."

Curious Carr queries, "So you all know Elija? Well?"

"Yes." The Captain provides a little-known history, "Elija and King Halford still drink together. In his day Elija was a great fighter, an honorable man. He and Halford fought in many battles not always on the same side."

Taught some hand to hand as a small boy Carr knew the man was a fighter, "I didn't know he and the King were so closely tied. The thing I've noticed in Elija, I've never seen him angry. Or even club a rowdy drunk."

***

Another hour of riding they near the campsite at the bridge Avilo asks Carr. "We won't have to tie you up? Right? I trust you will complete the trek back? I don't want to spend the next week tracking you down."

Looking the Captain in the eye, Carr promises, "I can be trusted. If what you say about Elija and King Halford is true. Than I think your King will see I'm only guilty of wanting to be wealthy. And that I had nothing to do with the burglary."

"So you hope." Comments Dell as they stop at the camp, "I guess you won't have any objections to a quick search and hand over your backpack."

With little choice Carr shrugs, "No."

Entering the camp Captain Avilo points out and commands four men, "Tend to the horses."

All the men dismount taking their bedrolls off the saddles.

Carr slides off Bolt noticing a tent has been set up and there's a pot of steaming stew over a fire.

Before Carr can fully turn around a young soldier searches his person for any concealed weapons.

The last man to dismount is Avilo letting Carr know, "I'll send our medic to tend to your wounds."

"Thank you, sir," Carr hands over his backpack to the soldier.

The Captain nods leaving with Dell, Junior and two other men to the tent.

While choking down a bowl of foul stew Carr sits in front of the fire, watched by all.

A male younger than him approaches, "Hello. I'm Clive. Dell told me to change your bandages."

"Hello," Carr wonders if he can, "Okay. I'm Carr."

The young medic kneels beside Carr unwrapping the soiled arm bandage.

Carr sets the disgusting bowl of stew aside, to observe him, "Hey aren't you the page too?"

Removing the blood-soaked bandage, the flap of skin starts to peel back, causing Clive to grimace and stomach to turn, "What happened? Sword?"

The young rogue tries to hide the pain, "No, battle-axe. Chopped off the arm covering with a bit of skin." Exposed to the night air it throbs again.

The skin flap rolls all the way down exposing the muscle groups underneath. Clive's color pales, a couple of the watching men turn away.

Looking over to see Clive's horrified face Carr queries with clenched jaw, "What's wrong? How long have you been a medic?"

Reaching up with a shaky hand to place the flap of skin back Clive stutters. "Th, th, three, ah three weeks."

Becoming nervous Carr scans the soldiers, as they're grinning strangely, "You're the only medic?"

"Yes." Clive reaches out trying to touch the skin.

"Here guy." Carr instructs him, "I'll put it in place you wrap it." Seeing him nod, Carr takes in a deep breath and slaps the skin back in place.

Clive wraps it just not as fast as Carr would have liked. As the medic finishes Carr stands up to walk off the pain. Circling the fire several times before allowing Clive to tend to the cut to his hip.

After the unneeded help Carr lays back and tries to get comfortable. If he wasn't about to be judged tomorrow, he might feel more secure, in the group of armed men. Still contemplating running, he notes two men are on watch. Most of the other men are already sleeping. Closing eyes to pretend sleeping he ends up sleeping.