Chapter #25

Heading for the castle Carr strolls through the poorest section of the city. Many of the tiny buildings are in need of repair. Several should just be demolished, having taken catapult damage during a siege five years ago. Yet even the worst of places are inhabited. Usually by squatters and vagabonds. New faces always stand out in these areas and Carr's does today.

Two local children check out Carr. A shabbily dressed, thin, ten-year-old girl moves to intercept. Her younger and filthier brother shadows her.

Confronting Carr the girl smiles querying, "Hello sir, lovely day. Can we show you around? Or is there something you're looking for?"

Continuing to walk Carr knows these kids are looking to earn a couple of copper pieces, "What do you need the coin for?"

They stay with him as she answers, "Our Pa went off to fight and hasn't come home yet?"

The boy tries to give sad hungry eyes, "We've got no food."

Knowing firsthand how well kids can pull off cons, or used in a more sinister plans Carr's reluctant, "I'll tell you what. Take me to your home and I'll see what I can do."

The pair, whisper to each other. Playing like he's not paying attention Carr overhears. The sister doesn't want to get into trouble for begging. Both certain the stranger is the guy who returned the other day with King Halford's Horsemen. The brother thinks he can help them and is hungry.

Huffing reluctantly the girl turns back to Carr, "Okay, follow me."

They lead him back into the huts, stopping in a small opening she points to her hut. Carr looks at the worn hut, almost standing alone. The roof is mostly intact the walls are thin and in need of repair. An old hide barely covers the doorway. "That's our house."

A lean woman exits the building, causing the kids to sigh. She comes right over with a look of concern.

The boy hastily defends their actions, "Mom he said he could help us."

"Okay," Carr glances at the boy, then back to their mother, "Good day."

A frail woman in her late twenties, with an unamused look apologizes, "I'm sorry if my children were bothering you." She scolds them, "I told you not to be begging."

Carr defends them, "They're intentions were good," He puts on a friendly smile, "I just wanted to make sure my coin was going to good use."

The mother replies, "We don't need your coin."

"That's fine," Holding his hand out for a friendly shake, "My name is Carr."

She hesitantly reciprocates but likes the contact, "I'm Tanyi this is my daughter Kara and my little boy Devon. They wouldn't be begging if their father was here."

Seeing the struggling woman's chin quiver and eyes redden. Carr tries to reassure holding her hand gently in both his, "I understand. Think positive and hold him close in your heart. Don't count on it but there's always a chance he'll return home. Something unexpected could have happened to detain him."

She says with conviction, "I know he's still alive." A single tear rolls down her cheek.

Freeing her hand Carr tenderly removes the tear with his finger, "I travel all over perhaps our paths will cross. What's his name?"

Looking up at Carr Tanyi sniffs shakily smiling, "That's a nice thought. Leopold Basteal, he prefers to be called Leo. He's about your size, with dark brown eyes, thirty-eight and graying brown hair."

The kids cling to her sides listening to their conversation hoping Carr really can help.

Carr reaches for his coin pouch, "Mrs. Basteal, I can't promise I'll run in to him, but I will pay closer attention to others on my travels." Using his words carefully, "We can help out your children today."