XXIX. REALLY MAX, AGAIN

MAX'S POV

I had just finished pouring two glasses of champagne when there was a soft knock on my door.

A smirk tugged at my lips, thinking it was Vivian who behind the threshold. She had a weird foot fetish but I overlooked that minor flaw since she was absolutely amazing in bed. It has been awhile since I last saw her because she was mad at me for the time I gave her the boot because Valentina showed up. After a little persuading, I calmed her down and she agreed to come tonight.

Instead of it being Vivian, it was a very distressed and teary Valentina.

I knew something was very wrong, so instead of making her leave like I was initially planning to before I saw her face, I wordlessly pulled her into a gentle embrace where she broke down and began to sob on my chest.

A throat cleared and it wasn't mine, nor Valentina's, I looked up to see Vivian's annoyed expression.

"Really Max, again?" She huffed and turned away.

I sighed and pulled away from the woman in my arms, "I'll be right back."

I followed her down the short corridor.

"Vivian, wait." I called out to her, making her stop and turn to face me.

"Max, you knew we had plans tonight."

"Yeah I did, I didn't know she'd be coming I swear, but as you could see, she needed comfort and I wasn't going to kick her out because you said you 'might show up'" I explained.

I don't understand women, maybe it's me though.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were expecting company, I'll go. Miguel's waiting for me right now anyways." Valentina spoke from behind me.

***

It had been around a week since I last saw Valentina after she left my apartment when Vivian showed up. I must add that she is much better in bed when she's angry.

I had no idea why she came crying as she left before she could tell me, but I have come to a conclusion of my own: she was extremely emotional because she was on her period. It didn't make a whole lot of sense but it was that only thing I could come up with.

She was most likely with Alec so I probably shouldn't even be worrying about her but she hasn't replied to any of my texts or answered my calls and that's just not like her. I decided to go to her apartment before I made a missing person's report or worse, pay Alec a visit.

I found her in a heap of sheets on her bed watching what looked like a horror movie. She looked like a mess. Miguel was sleeping peacefully at the foot of her bed.

"Looks like you've really let yourself go." I said sitting next to her.

She was either done with life or her and Alec broke up. Possibly, but not likely, it was both.

"What are you doing here? I want to be alone right now." She mumbled.

"What's wrong?"

"I walked in on Alec being fucked my Rowan, the neighbor."

That was probably the least expected thing I thought she was going to say.

"He's gay? What the fúck." I was genuinely confused, he was straight like last week.

There was that one time that he kissed me when we got high off of weed that was laced with something weird. I never thought much of it because who expects their best friend to be gay? That and we were pretty fúcked up, drugs make you do some crazy things.