XLII. REJECTED

Alec left with little persuasion from Avi after that.

He left me more confused and angrier than ever, so I took a long, and thought filled shower and began angry cooking.

If there's one thing that can calm me down it's food, so why not a cook a whole bunch that I can eat and feel bad about later?

As I was cutting onions I couldn't tell if my tears were from my emotional turmoil, the onions, or a combination of both. It was most likely both.

"Morning." Tristan sounded, startling me.
I quickly sniffled and wiped my eyes with the back of my hand, thank god I hadn't applied any makeup.

"Hey, you scared me." I said, not turning around to face him.

"Are you crying?" He asked peering at my face from behind me.

"No, it's these onions." I denied.

It wasn't a complete lie, those were some potent onions.

"Val what's wrong?" He asked turning me around to face him.

"Nothing, it's the onions!" I grew defensive.

I became aware of the presence of his hands on my hips when they tightened.

"I heard your ex paid you a visit." He admitted.

When people ask you what's wrong and they already know is the stupidest thing ever. Why are you asking if you already know?

"Yeah he did." I confirmed.

He nodded and we stood there in silence for who knows how long just staring at each other.

Using Tristan as a distraction or rebound was never my intention, but in that moment, he looked so irresistible. Slowly, I leaned in to kiss him, giving him a chance to push me away, instead he met me halfway eagerly. The kiss quickly became heated and I felt him lifting me on to counter and his hands slip under my shirt.

Soft moans left my mouth as I tugged on his curly hair.

He pulled away abruptly, surprising me. The moment had ended as quickly as it began.

"We should stop." He said sounding like he was trying to convince himself and not me.

"You're right." I sighed, sliding off the marble counter and fixing my clothes.

Using Tristan as a rebound or a distraction was a terrible idea.

He looked like he wanted to say something but he turned around and left the kitchen.

I took a deep breath and returned to my cooking as if nothing had happened.

***

Today was the last day of the Hamptons vacation so we decided to do something different than the constant country club visit and shopping spree and go to the beach.

Tristan and I haven't spoken since our encounter. I really hope our relationship isn't forever altered; I still want him as a friend if nothing else, sadly, that's not always the case.

"One more day of Hamptons pussy." Max sighed sounding slightly dejected.

"What happened to no fúçking?" I asked him, referring to our deal for him to stay celibate for the duration of the trip.

"Come on, we both knew that wasn't going to work." He scoffed.

"True. I'm just glad you haven't messed with any of Tristan's friends." I said hoping that was actually the case.

I've been trying to ignore the constant hushed conversations between Max and Elle, but it's eating me alive. They're constantly gazing at each other when one isn't looking and their first encounter let's me know they have a history.