XLVIII. NATASHA WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME

VALENTINA'S POV

"I'm sorry Tristan, I realized that we'd be better off just friends." I said, it made me feel so bad so see his face fall like that.

It was like his whole world was collapsing.

"I-I don't understand, Val we-, Valentina-" He stuttered, not meeting my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Tristan. I really am." I felt like crying, it wasn't like rejecting people was new to me. I was gorgeous, I had men falling at my feet, left and right, but with Tristan it was different.

I cared for him, I did have an attraction towards him, but I knew it'd just be a waste of both of our time.

"And I know why those people are after you Tristan. I know you didn't make you fortune legally." With this statement, his face contorted into one of confusion . "If you think I'll tell, I won't, but you really pissed off the wrong people. They said they won't stop until they have you in a body bag."

That was the real reason I decided we couldn't work, I don't do criminals.

When I left earlier, I went to the mall to get my mind off things, imagine my surprise when I found out that Tristan, the man I was contemplating whether or not I should let in, is basically a drug lord, a mini El Chapo, not to mention the money laundering he hasn't been caught for yet.

"Val let me explain." he said.

"Explain to me what? I know the truth already, you're a money laundering drug lord. Tristan I can overlook a lot of things, but I don't know if I can look past this, especially with the constant threat of death hanging over your head."

"Val, please, those guys can't hurt me."

"Tristan your problems have just begun, I know it. I bought you a one way ticket to Croatia."

"Croatia?"

"Yes it's a beautiful country, they have no extradition treaties with the U.S, you should be safe there when and if they find out what you did." I told him handing him the ticket. I was really worried for him.

"Valentina I don't wanna move to Croatia, not if you aren't coming with me. Now if you would shut up and let me explain to you the actual situation at hand." He snapped. "Okay first, the money laundering is a ridiculous lie, I'm not laundering any money, second I made most if not all of my money legally. Sure, I may have sold drugs like ten years back when I was eighteen and really desperate, but I am by no means a drug lord. I don't know who told you that and why you would even believe it."

"They told me you'd lie about it, they had proof Tristan."

"Everything can be falsified these days, you really believe those guys over me?" He asked sounding hurt.

"T-they had proof." I replied, my justification seemed flimsy now.

"I'll prove to you the truth by tomorrow. I'm not any kind of criminal and I don't know why they're after me."

He then shooed me out of my own home with the request that I "go to Max or something." I can't even be angry because I did accuse him of some deep things. Max can probably help me with this dilemma.

"Who's Max being romantic for?" I asked strolling into his apartment. There were rose petals scattered across the floor and the room was dimly lit by the flickering candles strewn across it.

"You, of course." He said pouring two glasses of wine. "So what brings you to the love shack? Please try to make this quick, I have a guest coming."

"Okay, I think Tristan is a criminal. I have proof and everything, the thing is, he won't admit to it, so I don't know for sure."

Max put on his thinking face and stayed quiet for a period, "Yeah I have no idea what's going on with him. He does really like you though. Now be gone, my guest is coming up right now." He said, shooing me.