XXX. CALM AND CIVIL

ALEC'S POV

It hurt. Alot.

Watching her leave me hurt like no other pain I've felt before. I'm still hurting, but I deserve it.

I am the cause of what I'm feeling now. I should've told her a long time ago, I know her, she would've understood. I didn't reveal it because I was afraid of how she might react, a small part of me wasn't so sure that she'd accept me and I let that hold me back. The fear of rejection plagued me, I didn't think I could take it if she left me. Now she has, because I was trying to prevent her from walking away.

It would be foolish to think that she broke up with me because of my sexuality, the real reason was that I was unfaithful. I'm probably going to punish myself for it for the rest of my life. Her last words kept replaying in my mind like a broken record. Maybe it would've hurt less if I hadn't treated her so bad during our final weeks. The secret was just weighing down on me so much, I couldn't look at her without feeling like I was lying to her face.

"Dude, I've been at your door for 30 minutes." Ian said barging through my door.

"My bad, I didn't hear you." I lied. Ian just wasn't the person I wanted to see right now.

"Shìt, who died? You haven't been at work for like a week, we're losing money man." He went around the room pushing aside the curtains, letting an exorbitant amount of light into the room.

"I've been sick." I lied yet again to my co worker.

"Bullshìt, the Alec I know doesn't take sick days. You taking drugs?" He asked trying to pull down my lower eyelid.

I pushed his hand away and got up. "What time is it?"

I needed a distraction from my thoughts and returning to my busy life seemed the best route to go.

"Uhh, almost 7." he answered, looking down at my watch.

Good, I wasn't late yet, I could make it on time if I shower really quickly.

"Give me twenty minutes and we can go." I rushed up the stairs and took a quick shower and wore a pair of navy blue slacks and a very pale blue button down. I didn't bother with a tie or a blazer as I grabbed my Rolex and shoes.

"Oh I met your girl." Ian told me starting the car.

"My girl?" I was confused, I don't think Valentina has met any of my friends other than Octavia, I doubt he knows how she looks.

"Yeah, this Spanish girl named Valentina right? I met her down in Miami, she was with Codwell." He responded.

She went to Miami and didn't even tell me? Even worse, she was with Max.

"Had no idea she even went. Did she tell you why she was there?"

"She claimed she was there to visit a friend, but I don't know man."

Valentina wouldn't cheat, at least I hope she wouldn't. If she did though that would make her no better than me. I trusted her, but I didn't trust Max in the slightest.

"Wait how did you not know where your girlfriend was? This was like days ago." He asked me.

"We weren't talking." I said.

My thoughts ran wild for the rest of the silent ride.

While I was working, I kept finding myself thinking about Max and Valentina, the more I thought about it, the angrier I became.
As soon as my break came around I found myself calling an uber and walking into Max's workplace. I spotted him in his office, speaking to an older man. He saw me enter and asked the gentleman to excuse us.

"This is a rare sight, what can I do for you Alec." He asked giving me his usual smug look.
His face alone annoyed me but I told myself that I was going to stay calm and at civil.

"What were you doing with Valentina in Miami?"

"I prefer to leave the events that happened in Miami." He answered. "Besides, why do you care, you have other 'interests' don't you?"

"Max I swear to God if you--"

"Relax, your secret is safe with me. Besides bisexual jokes are no fun because they can go both ways." He snickered at his lame joke.
I couldn't get over how immature this man was.

"And to answer your earlier question, I didn't do anything with her, I have way too much respect for you to do that, but now she's completely fair game buddy." He added.
I felt my anger spike and the urge to throw a tight hook was great, somehow, I suppressed my anger and took a deep breath.

"She's not. You took my mother from me, you're not taking her too."

Max sighed and rolled his eyes.

"When are you going to get over that? You should know that it wasn't intentional." Max claimed.

He's been telling me the same lie for so long I think he believes himself. What he to me— to my mother— was no accident. I knew one thing though, he wasn't the brains of the operation, but he carried it out and that made him just as bad as the person who thought it all up: Charlotte.

She hated my mother with a passion, it'd be stupid for me to think that it was without a cause but hatred is hatred nonetheless.

Charlotte wanted to get rid of her permanently, I knew she would've murdered her if it wasn't so messy; jail was the next best option. At that time, my mother was under a lot of stress from various sources; raising a child alone wasn't easy and she worked many odd jobs to make ends meet despite my father being filthy rich.
All the stress and lack of sleep was driving her mad, literally. It was hard for me to see my beloved parent spiral out of control and there was nothing that I could do at the time. Things happened and Charlotte ended up getting a restraining order against her, my mom couldn't come within three hundred yards of the estate and she was obliged to stay away from Charlotte and Charles. She also had to see a psychiatrist and a probation officer monthly.

"It was! It all was." I replied, trying to keep my temper in check.

The day my mother was snatched away from me was kinda hazy. I remember hitting my head and blood everywhere.

"You probably wouldn't have been alive if it wasn't for me. I saved you and this is the thanks I get?" Max shot back, getting worked up.

There was so much blood and I got insanely dizzy, I felt like I was going to pass out and die, I remember Max's panicked voice as he called 911. My mom wasn't at home at the time, since she worked so much. They brought social workers and the police in and they interrogated me.

Due to her hours and the conditions we lived in, they charged her with negligence and child endangerment and deemed her unfit to be a mother. During her trial, Charlotte got them to slap a couple more charges on there and she ended up with sixteen years in prison.

"If you think you deserve my thanks for fucking my life in the ass then you're sorely wrong."

Maybe it was wrong to blame Max, maybe I was overreacting, but I know one thing for sure: he got mother taken from me.

"Yeah you'd know something about that wouldn't you."

I lost it. Blinded by rage, I lunged at him and tackled him into his desk. I don't recall exactly what happened but I know I didn't stop throwing punches until I was forcefully yanked off of him and kicked out of the building. Thankfully, I wasn't arrested.

When I regained my composure, I realized what happened and I felt utterly deplorable. I had let my anger get the best of me when I shouldn't have.